Logo

Alternator charging problems

Geary

Hi Guys,
I have a 1989 Suzuki DT115 that I have just installed on a fairly new boat. After connecting everything up wiring wise, the engine runs great on a flushing attachment but it isn't showing any charge when I check at the volt meter or battery. I have a Clymers manual for the engine and read through the tests for the rectifier regulator but after doing the check it seems Ok! What they said to do was disconnect all four of the wires from the regulator, white, black, yellow and red then with a meter or powered light check continuity between the white and yellow wires. If it has cont. one way and not the other the rectifier regulator is good ! Other than that there isn't any other tests in this manual. So my next check was to see if I was getting any power from the AC charging coils in the alternator. I probed the red and yellow wires with my Volt meter going from the red to ground and then yellow to ground it showed about 3 volts on both wires, even going between the red & yellow with my meter I only showed 4 volts ! I would have thought I should see a lot higher voltage there, like 26 - 30 volts ? Is there any other check I can do to determine what the problem is ? Being the system has a rectifier regulator is there a better way to check it more completely ? Also my tack isn't working so all things seem to point to the charging coils being bad ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Gary

Back