Logo

Oil change 2006 BF 50

Thank you, Shanty Bay Tim, and Hondadude for the information, it's very much appreciated!
To, Jonnygjr.....if I had an owners manual and if there was Honda dealer that was closer than 200 miles to me.....
I would had surely taken your advice.

Ha ha.....short answer: Yes!.....have someone else change the oil! ;>)....

Seriously though.....it IS possible to keep things a bit cleaner. I made myself a little "drain chute" out of a plastic gallon milk container. Those things are tough, very pliable and easy to cut and shape with a decent pair of scissors.

Just let your imagination be your guide.

Good luck.

I use tin foil to make a "chute" into any standard container. forms well to the awkward drain . As Mike mentioned , slow to add the final amounts as too much is a real problem

To elaborate on why it is undesirable to overfill the crankcase.....

An over full crankcase will allow for the possibility of the crankshaft connecting rod journels doing a sort of egg beater/blender action in the oil. When this happens, the oil can be badly aerated to the point of foaming or "frothing".

Foamed up oil, being in large part air, is difficult for the oil pump to pick up and distribute through the oil passages. This is known as lack of lubrication or oil "starvation" wherein the engine's bearings and journals can be scored and damaged badly.

Mike's and Shantyboy Tim's admonition against over filling is firmly based in good engine science and accepted practices with running oil level below the full mark being desirable over running it above.

Back