Logo

no power on take off

AwplumBer2

Hello everyone , I was just given a boat with a 08 bf150.It has some problems on take off. It takes about 15 min or so to get on plan if there is a lot of weight in the boat it doesnt get on plan. I have checked the compression with the motor hot #1 and #2 have 190 #3 and #4 175. I started going through the fuel system.I have replaced all filters, and replaced the high pressure pump and insulator with the screen at buttom.the old fuel pump had metal shards stuck to it,dont know where they came from. I have done a injection clean. And motor still does not want to get on plan and when it does I think im missing about 1500 rpm . But no alarms and the motor start and runs ok on plan. Any idea to my next
Step in tracking the problem down.
Thanks for the help

Make sure all cylinders are firing. Disconnect each injector...one at a time and listen for the change in engine rpms. If you disconnect one and the rpms do not go down, then there is an issue with that cylinder.

If all are the same....

What are the full throttle rpms, once you finally get it on plane and trimmed out. You are starting out with the motor trimmed all the way down...then trim up once you are on plane....aren't you?

What size prop do you have on it? It might be too big of a prop....if all else checks out ok.

Mike

Thanks and yes I start with trim down and trim up on plane the rpms on plane are around 4800 the prop is a 16 pitch 3 blade ss ill check the injectors and rpms as you mentioned.it does have a new used power head on it. The boat and motor was given to me and I called the guys who worked on it they really wont tell me anything.the last owner told me that and it had about 3500$ put into it.

Thanks again and ill get back with you

Was bottom cleaned this year,repainted,excessive growth on bottom,salt water use,bilge have excess water in it?check all compartments if previous reply does not work.just some thoughts.

Do the checks HondaDude recommended, but from your description, it sure sounds like a prop problem to me. It's not unusual for folks to put on a larger prop for what they think is better fuel economy if they are just putzing around a lot and not running at WOT.

RPM's at WOT should be around 6000 +/-.

After thought - do you have access to a portable fuel tank? If so, hook that up to see if you still have the same problem. If so, then you have eliminated all problems with a clogged vent, the fuel pick up tube in your fuel tank, and with the pump up bulb. If performance improves, then reconnect with the main fuel tank and run the boat with the filler cap off. If that improves performance, then you have a clogged vent. If the pump up bulb partially collapses, then you have a clogged pick-up in the fuel tank or a failing check valve in the pump up bulb.

After thought 2 - did you change out the fluid in the lower unit? Any issues with it? Any metal flakes on the bottom magnetic screw?

Will do have some time this weekend get back to you. My brother had a similar problem with his yami 130 and it was the ignition switch could that be the same on a honda. Im kinda electrical or air intake problem. But Im and plumber and that why im here.lol

The ignition switch is not very likely, unless you have a miss in the engine.

16 pitch prop for that boat, that is less than 2000 lbs sounds in the neighborhood.

A couple more things to check.

1. Make sure that it is getting full throttle. The arm that the throttle cable is attached to at the motor should go all the way to a stop when you are at full throttle. If it does not, adjust the cable at the motor, if possible. Otherwise, you have to remove the throttle and screw the cable end all the way into the retainer in the shifter.

2. Check the height of the engine. The horizontal plate, just above the prop, should be even with the bottom of the boat, when it is parallel to it. An inch above or below the bottom is ok. However, the higher the motor, the quicker it will get on plane and the faster the boat will go.

Mike

Hondadude, I did the injector check and it started miss firing after unplugging each one one at time I assume that means they are working. The funny thing is that after I did that the boat got on plane alot faster instead of a couple of hunderd yards now it with in 50( it seem to have more power) could tgis mean that I have a injector problem or a bad connection to them? My rpms have went a few hundred too.

Improvement is good. But why?

It is good to note if any one of the cylinders change differently than any of the others.

It is possible there was a bad connection.

Looking at your first post....you did an injector clean. What does that mean? Did you remove the injectors and have them cleaned professionally? If not, could there be some debris left in them?

One other area to check...would be the valve clearances.

Mike

I did the clean with Mercury Quicklean . I was told if that did clean them, I would have to get new ones. Also valve clearance how do you check and what should it be?

Lower unit - Small pieces of metal, like talcum powder is normal. Larger metal flakes indicate that you are chewing up some metal in the lower unit, and that's bad.

However, I'm bowing out of this thread. HondaDude knows far more about the 150's than I ever will.

I highly recommend, if you are getting into things like valve clearances, timing marks, etc that you purchase a Honda Shop Manual.

It is fairly expensive, but give you a much better...and complete....step by step....as compared to what can be explained on this forum.

Also, beware of youtube videos. They can be misleading or even wrong at times. And the Seloc Manuals can be completely wrong on the specs.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Marine...ms&ie=UTF8&qid=1467260080&sr=1-2&keywords=150

Mike

Back