Logo

50 hp mercury stator

snoz

Hello All,

I'm trying to help my neighbor with his boat. Actually, I agreed before seeing what a basket case it is. The first thing I noticed on the motor was the wires from the stator. You can see the mess in the picture below. There may be enough left of the yellow wires that I can solder new wire onto them. My question is on the two green wires that are snipped off. I don't see anything on the powerhead that they connect to. I don't know the year of the motor, but it's a 50hp merc, 3-cyl, with remote and tilt. Do you have any ideas if the two green ones are needed? Also, is it even worth trying to save this stator? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

-Ethan

stator.jpg

The green wires MIGHT be for another model. The CDI units have extra blue and red wires than Merc units. You should have:

Two yellow wires for battery charging
One blue wire to the switch box
One red wire to the switch box, and
One black wire to the block (ground).

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. That appears to be what I have. I'm not sure what happened to the covering on the yellow wires. It doesn't appear to have melted. I'll cut them back to where there is decent wire and replace them.

snoz- I found quite a bit of wiring with disintegrating coating on my 1977 Merc 50. I replaced most of it with a new wiring harness. My two yellow wires on the stator remained so I picked up some shrink wrap insulation at a hardware store. Very inexpensive . I finally had to replace my stator but not on account of those two yellow wires.

Don't know what MORON spec'ed out the wire insulation on 70s and 80s Mercs, but it crumbled away in no time to play HELL with us who restore them.

Jeff

Back