Logo

40hp 2 stroke not picking up fuel

49Lone82

Model #40PLRR. Carbs are clean. Brand new tank, line, hose and bulb. Will crank right up and run if I choke the carbs with my hand. Move hand and it dies. Cleaned all the carbs three times. Kept pumping on bulb to see it that would help to no luck.

If you've cleaned the carbs 3 times I imagine you backout out the brass fuel jets and made sure those tiny orifices are perfectly clean and clear? Will it start without choking the carbs if you open the throttle more? If so, perhaps the idle speed needs to be increased. Remember one thing about setting the idle speed via the idle speed adjustment screws... Always set the idle with the boat in the water and engine's lower unit submerged in the water (not hooked up to earmuffs on land). If the idle is set while hooked up to earmuffs on land it will almost never idle when in the water due to the backpressure created by the exhaust (think of blowing through a straw sunk in a deep glass of water vs. blowing through one that isn't)... Takes more fuel/combustion to force that exhaust under pressure down below the water line and out through the hub.

Back