Logo

87 Force 85 hp, short circuit?

Hi,

i replaced the tilt/trim relays, while doing so I shorted the red and green wires creating a spark and a small "pop". Now the starter works, but the engine does not fire. I'm new at this, so if you can direct me to a step by step (layman term)electrical troubleshooting it world be much appreciated.

Tx

Sorry to hear this happened.
First step when replacing electrical items I think would be to disconnect the power source.

Should be a lot of information and links already posted here previously. Try searching for some of the similar threads.

Outboardignitiondotcom.
They have test procedures for your electrical system.
Usually the regulator blows if you short out the system.
Also the 87/85 might have a fuse under the dash that can stop it from starting.
Make sure the kill switch is operational.

Fiddling around on the net, i found outboardignition.com... printed all I could find. I will double check the kill switch and check the regulator. However, I did not find the complete wiring diagrams. It would sure be helpful to have the diagrams for my 87 Capri Bayliner to locate fuses or circuit breakers...

Thank you for your help!

The wiring diagrams for the boat might be available from Bayliner??
Send them the hull # and maybe they will send you a diagram?

The motor, you can get a diagram from a factory manual.
They sell a parts manual it's not what you need.

There is a difference between the 86 and 87/88 models so make sure the manual you buy covers your year.
I say that because people are selling Force manuals and saying they include years they don't.

The wiring diagrams for the boat might be available from Bayliner??
Send them the hull # and maybe they will send you a diagram?

The motor, you can get a diagram from a factory manual.
They sell a parts manual it's not what you need.

There is a difference between the 86 and 87/88 models so make sure the manual you buy covers your year.
I say that because people are selling Force manuals and saying they include years they don't.

Thanks Jerryjerry05, I found the owner's manual for the engine, the owner's manual for the boat and the service manual for the engine covering the 1987 model year. From there I will try to figure it out. I will check the rectifier first, if that's not the problem, I'll simply follow the circuits and find where the problem is hoping it won't cost too much ;)

Follow the steps from: outboardignitiondotcom
They help LOTS of people.

One thing.
The specs on their equipment might differ than the OEM.

They sell THOUSANDS of parts and you might have their stuff on your motor right now.
Make sure of what you have.

Back