Logo

BF50A Compression

Deanmck

Regular Contributor
Hi
I have done a compression test on my BF50A just to see if everything is ok I have 90 PSI exactly on all 3 cylinders. I can't find in my manual what the compression should be but I'm hoping 90 is more or less a good result.
Doe's anyone know the expected compression for my motor.

Hi again.
disregard my post. I found some old threads here & can see I've gone all about this wrong as in that my motor was cold and that I did not open the throttle. I will try again as soon as time permits.

Compression tested our pair of ~3000hr BF50A's the other day. All around 195psi after nearly 3000hrs. Have had a few issues with the charging systems and the anti-cavitation plates like to crack and rot, but the internals of those engines are pretty solid.

Yep, I agree. It seems to me that Honda makes a darned good engine. It's just all the peripherals they need to hang on it to make it an outboard that causes most of the problems.

Finally got around to checking the compression. warm motor, I did not disconnect the throttle linkage but opened her up to full throttle on the remote. 188 to 192 PSI on all 3 cylinders. Im pretty pleased for a 19+ year old motor thats ok by me. I also went to balance the carbs but they are all nicely in sync.

Back