Logo

Honda outboard help..

rutnstrut

I recently purchased a 1997 18 ft Polar Kraft. The boat has a 50 hp 4 stroke that I believe is in the 2000 era. Today I decided to clean up the rat nest of wires and install a fuse block. As I worked on clearing wires that had been zip tied to the steering cable and outboard remote control I found a single green wire coming out of the rear of the remote control under the key ignition and kill switch. This wire was not hooked to anything on the other end. WHAT DOES THIS WIRE CONTROL AND SHOULD IT BE HOOKED TO POWER?.

I would not hook up any wires untill you are 100% sure of them.--------And the motor wiring harness is not to be used to power anything but the motor.

Not sure how you are set up, but normally the green wire is the "down" function for the tilt/trim motor. Does you tilt/trim currently work both up and down?

racerone gives good advice. Don't put power to ANY wire if you don't know exactly what it "feeds" or is connected to. Some owner's manuals provide wiring diagrams and you should be able to download one for your outboard by studying the options in the link below and comparing your serial numbers to what is listed.

http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF50

Good luck.

I agree with all the above. The green wire on some boats is the bonding wire for the fuel tank; up trim on Hondas, or down trim on Evinrudes

It might just be a wire someone added to get power from one place to another...not using the proper color code.

Heed the warnings of all who responded.

Mike

If the engine rpms reduce the same when you remove the spark plug wires, then all are firing and all idle circuits are probably ok.

Two other things would cause a bad idle.

1.. Timing belt jumped time and timing marks do not align.
2.. Carburetors need to be vacuum balanced.

Mike

Back