Logo

Steam from M440

noelct

Regular Contributor
Hi all. It's been a while since I last posted, but perhaps someone has good advice for me.

Launched boat back in May. She ran good. no noticeable steam from exhaust. Ran her again a couple weeks ago and saw significant steam. Starboard manifold hotter than port, but not too hot to touch. Engine is at around 180 deg. I plan to shoot everything with calibrated IR temp this week.

I replaced manifold with spare and symptoms are exactly the same. I kept the same swivel riser set-up. I'm thinking of swapping port manifold as I did starboard, but I'm also thinking that I'd only be wasting a gallon of coolant loss and energy working with that 90# piece of iron.

Can the riser set-up leak water to cause steam? My system takes raw water from Hx, into each low side of manifold. Then with out from high point with hose to elbow, up 4 inch extension and into swivel before exhaust hose. There are not a lot of hours on these components. Could the SST collars in risers leak?

Thanks for any input to this. ,Noel.

Steam caused by...

Not enough water flow thru elbows
blown head gasket ( If antifreeze coolant is used a HE equipped system there will be a "sweet" smell from exhaust)

180 degrees, if accurate, is a tad warm.

Back