Logo

Marine Chrysler 360 Valve Cover Gaskets

RayHolland

Greetings,

Newbie forum participant; long time browser!

I own 1983 28 flybridge Bertram, currently with twin Chrysler 360s, which unfortunately both leak oil. After many hours of cleaning/inspection/cleaning, I believe my biggest culprits are the valve cover gaskets. So my questions: (which I could not readily find answers to searching other forum posts)

1) Do I need to pull off the exhaust manifolds and risers to get the valve covers off?
2) If yes, what's the best gasket set I need to buy for the exhaust manifolds and risers? I keep reading about certain ports being blocked (or open) on the manifold/riser gaskets? How do I know what to get before pulling the parts off (I like to have everything before starting the job so it can be a one day commitment - with any luck)?
3) and finally any tricks/pointers to doing this job right? For example, any particular brand gaskets to use? Tricks to putting on the new valve cover gaskets so they won't leak? Anything to use on the exhaust manifold and riser gaskets (e.g. silicone RTV)?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Using a CAREFUL retightening of the bolts will stop the leaks. Have you tried that yet? It's very difficult to get the covers off with the exhaust manifolds in place, but the intake does NOT have to come off.

Any quality gasket will do--I've used Victor successfully. If you pull the covers, be sure to tap out the distorted metal at each bolt hole with the ball end of a ball peen hammer (what it's for). Turn the covers over and tap the metal flat again.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I tried one of the bolts on the valve cover and it was almost hand tight - I know they're not supposed to be torqued down too much, but it seemed way too loose. I have to get a swivel socket to get to a a few of the bolts and I'll try what you suggest, tighten them all down a bit and see what happens. If not, I will replace gaskets. Good to know I don't have to take off the exhaust manifolds!

Back