Logo

Ghost start

euclid

Hello all. Im Greg, a proficient car mechanic jumping off into the boat world.

I'm working on a 76 Pearson 323 with a Volvo Penta that is not original to the boat. The problem that I'm working with is that the engine is cranking and starting on it's own. I've chased the wire from the ignition switch back to where it plugs into the top of the motor, into what looks to me like a solenoid. Where that connection is made I believe is where the source of the fault. Wiggling that connetion makes the engine crank.

A few questions for y'all:
1. Can you help me identify the part number for the replacement part I need?
2. See the pic below. I can't tell what, if anything is broken. Does the collar on the engine with the male pins should screw onto the wiring loom with the female side? It is very difficult to access in place in the boat. I'm wondering if that collar that is currently on the male/ engine side of the connection was designed to be on the female/loom side of the connection and has broken off.

Further thoughts/ suggestions?

SN looks like 230004335J to me see below.

Here's some pics for reference:

846650_Extension-cable-846650-Volvo-Penta.jpg

Volvo parts counter says it's this harness. [FONT=arial, sans-serif]PN [/FONT]846650 I can't find any better pics of the part on the web to see if the ribbed collar thing is designed to be part of the wiring harness or not.

Finally someone with the same problem we had. And yes on one engine it was the harness which we replaced. Other problems were an ignition switch and we think a starter relay. We turn off the batteries every time we leave the boat now and even pulled the starter relays last 12 hour fishing trip to be sure they didn't engage the starter while underway. We have 2 41 series.

Finally someone with the same problem we had. And yes on one engine it was the harness which we replaced. Other problems were an ignition switch and we think a starter relay. We turn off the batteries every time we leave the boat now and even pulled the starter relays last 12 hour fishing trip to be sure they didn't engage the starter while underway. We have 2 41 series.

Back