Logo

1969 20 hp johnson question

Jerry Moss

Just started after setting several years. Put in new thermostat...water pump assembly...and lower end lube. Old lube was fine with no evidence of water so I assumed seals were good. When started seemed to water good but a lot of water coming front front of motor just above the lower unit.. and seemed to water less I think when thermo opened. Is this normal??? Also a lot of watered grease was coming from the exhaust hole instead of water. ..Any input...maybe seals are bad? have some pics but site won't take them.

Did you have it in a barrel and how high was the water on the leg. Watered grease on the lower unit is normal after idling it is unburned fuel/oil mix combined with water. If in doubt do the sniff test what does it smell like.

Water escaping out the two large drain holes in the area of the lower motor mount is normal. That's why they put the drain holes there anyway. They drain off the water that escapes from the pump housing and would otherwise fill up the drive shaft isolation tube. If it were not drained off, the tube would fill with water and cause damage to the powerhead.

Was in a barrel with water well above needed....did idle for quite a while. Started out great then all the goop came out. Never idled one in barrel that long. Muffs don't work on this year. Hope it is this simple...not wanting to go back in to it. Here is a pic of residue....just seems so thick to me. May take to the lake and run it ....not registered yet20 hp oil 2.jpg20 hp oil.jpg

Back