Logo

Honda BF225A

clkelley78

Contributing Member
When flushing fresh water through the flush port connector (not running) with garden hose, is the water flushing through the entire motor including the themostats or do I need to flush with ears (running) through the low water pickup to flush everything? I like to use salt-away to flush, but I've only used the flush port since I have a Bob's Nose Cone.

Thanks,

I don't have a definitive answer for you. I've heard both sides of that situation - flushing is essential and cleans out the saltwater from from the entire cooling system, and flushing doesn't do much good and doesn't get to the entire water system. I operate exclusively in saltwater and I do flush for at least 15 minutes after every use. Boat is housed on a lift. With 1850 hours on the engine since spring of 08, I have not had any corrosion problems that I am aware of.

The 200's and 225's will overheat when running on muffs hooked to a garden hose. Muffs just don't supply enough water to cool that beast. You can use a very large garbage can as a test tank as long as you make sure that the telltale water is diverted back into the can and the water level stays above the cavitation plate. Keep a hose running in the tank and don't let the water temperature get much over 100 degrees F.

I'll be pulling my boat next week for a 100 hour maintenance. If I remember, I'll pull the t-stats, hook up a hose to the flush port, and see if water comes out of the t-stat opening. I'll post the results on this forum.

I would definitely like to hear the result, Chawk. I would also like to know if flushing thru the port gets down to the mid shaft bearing. Wouldn't it be useless if flushing didn't get past the t-stats?

Good question. I suspect it does, but not sure. I don't plan to pull my lower unit this time around, but at the next 100 hour I will to change out the water pump. So it seems like I could hook up the flusher and observe just how much water comes onto the bushing.

Pair of 2007 V6's (175's) that were only flush port washed lasted nearly 5 years and 1000hrs before pin-holing the blocks. It is a known issue I believe. Honda were fantastic about it and replaced the power heads (long blocks) at minimal cost, but some research I did afterwards suggested that the flush ports don't reach several parts of the block. We now flush port after use and do a monthly saltaway flush via muffs. The boat lives in the water so the muff flush is a bit of a mission. Otherwise I would do it more often.

sorry for delay on question, I had minimal issues w regard mid shaft bearing , I change them frequent not worth taking chance for cost of bushing

I would recommend a warm/ running flush with muffs or trash can every once and a while. Just to give her a good clean out.

Your Honda 200 or 225 will overheat if run on muffs alone. A garden hose cannot provide enough water to adequately cool that beast. Test tank or in the fresh water is the only way to get it done.

Back