Logo

Johnson 50 hp wont get spark smoking rectifier

j50BELCTA

Hello All about 3 weeks ago i got a 16ft smoker craft in rough shape, to fix up for my kid, at first it did not come with a key, so i replaced the key switch and jumped out the kill switch, got the motor cranking, no spark, did an ohms test on the stator and it seems fine, checked ohms on the rectifier and that seemed to work, the noticed the terninal block screws just keep spinning so i went to radio shack and bought a new terninal block and swapped out the bad terminals and was going to try to see if i can get spark and before starting it the rectifier started heating up and melting, smoking...!
ive put the wires back together as they were in the picture, i wondering if i swapped out the wrong wires by mistake but checking wiring diagrams online they seem right and i t careful swapping them as it stands now terminal 1 is red constant,and red to rectifier...terminal 2 purple and yellow with blue strip one from rectifier and one from stator terminal 3 is yellow with white strip from stator and recifier, i didnt disconnect passed that but terminal 4 is yellow from both rectifier and stator, and terminal 5 is black with white stripe.... could tightening the wires made contact with a bad recifier, theres also a loose tan wire I think its the tachometer, ive tried for weeks to get this engine cranking, also i did an ohms test on the power pack and got no readings through out, any help would be appreciatedaC7KXT5124hUFS54Q43Y1hbN.jpg

I don't know if you did it or not, but connecting battery backwards will smoke the rectifier even faster than instantly. If the smoke got out, it is shot, no need to even test it. Also, you cannot make any meaningful tests on the power pack with an Ohmmeter.

Attachments

• Wiring 1982-1985 20 thru 60hp With Remote Electric Start.jpg
    Wiring 1982-1985 20 thru 60hp With Remote Electric Start.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for getting back to me the only thing i can think it could be would be the solinoid wiring i might have the "s" and "I" backwards how ever I did not touch the starter solinoid and have been cranking the motor, im gonna try rewiring it from scratch, that diagram helps a ton
Ryan

"S" and "I" are interchangeable---IF you have the correct solenoid. If you have a car solenoid, that is not the same thing.

Back