Logo

9.9 Honda slow picking up fuel

blownic

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I have a 2010 Honda 9.9 that takes a long time picking up its fuel on initial start up. Once it is warm or has been ran recently it starts fine. On a cold start I have to splash some fuel in the top spark plug hole many times before it will run for more than a few seconds. I'm looking for input from you guys as to where I should start looking for the problem. This condition doesn't seem to be affected by whether or not I leave the fuel line attached to the motor or not, so I don't believe it is related to my primer bulb or hose. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Nic

Since it runs good once started, the most likely problem is a dirty carburetor. Specifically, the starting circuit.

That model has a fuel enrichment system that increases the fuel/air mixture when you go to start it. On an electric start, it is done automatically by the bystarter (white module on the top of the carburetor) or on a manual start, the "choke" knob does the same thing manually.

The carb bowl has a series of passages that feeds fuel to that area. It can be clogged and the motor can still run.

It is also possible that the auto enrichener could be stuck in the extended position, plugging that passage (although unlikely).

One thing to check that will tell you for sure that the carb needs work is to find the little plunger on the side of the carburetor. It has a little arm, that pushes a little silver plunger, surrounded by a little rubber bellows.

If it is stuck, then the accelerator pump is stuck and the carb needs cleaning.

It is not simple to clean. You need to understand the passages or you will miss one. Many on the forum can attest to that.

The Honda carburetor manual https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Marine...TF8&qid=1465959213&sr=1-1&keywords=carburetor is the best investment to make if you are going to clean your own carburetor, it gives step by step explanations.

Mike

Thanks Mike.
I was thinking it was most likely a carburetor issue but was kind of thrown off since it runs fine after it starts. Thanks for all of the carburetor insight and the link.

Nic

Back