Logo

Tohatsu 4 to 6 upgrade

HaywireHaywood

I have read about the carb change but am not sure which carb to get. I have an MFS4BS, which is a 2010 model by the parts catalogs. Should I get the 3AU-03200-0, which is the corresponding 6hp "B" model carb, or the 3JE-03200-0 which has been on the C model from 2011 on. Also in the remarks of the C model line, it says "3JEA" but gives no explanation.

any clarification would be great,
Ian

It will work, just won't idle as well. The carb for the 6A series is by far the least affected by EPA regulations, hence it is richer at idle, and more stable.

Pvanv, what's your opinion of the 115 2 stroke? Your a Tohatsu guy. What can u tell me about that motor. For saltwater fishing and occasional wake board on a lake. The hull weighs about 1300 lbs cc. Thanks. Sorry for the hijack. I should start my own thread.

Last edited:
I work primarily with the smaller motors, but have worked on the 115 TLDI a fair amount in school. Are you talking about the M115A2 2-stroke or MD115A/2 TLDI? In either event, the technology is mature and the crank, block, etc., are very solid. Throttle response is generally more brisk than the 4-strokes. The newer TLDI (A2) gets a lot better fuel economy than the original TLDI, and is much quieter than the carbureted 115. Being 4-cylinder motors, both idle well and smoothly, although the M115 will foul plugs at very low RPM, so it is not a trolling motor. The carbed 115 is quite obsolete, not sold in North America in over a decade, so if it's been in salt a long time (probably), it's likely near the end of its life.

What is the USCG placard rating on the boat? You need at least 75% of the rated horsepower (preferably over 85%) for the boat if you expect good performance. If operating in salt water, the biggest enemy will be corrosion. With proper flushing and maintenance, 1200 hours is a conservative estimate. If the salt isn't kept at bay, any motor will have a much shorter life, and may well not last 10 years.

Paul it's rated for up to a 150 hp. I have a Johnson 150 now. It's getting tired so I'm looking to repower. It's noisy like bearings are making noise. Idk , it's time to upgrade.I'm the original owner of my boat and it's 28 years old. Garaged and always flushed. I want to stay under 400 lbs if possible and get better mpg.

Yea I understand that but I don't need all those ponys that aren't really used in the ocean. Ave speed is 23-25. You are comfortable with the new 115 as being a solid motor? Thanks Paul

Yea I understand that but I don't need all those ponys that aren't really used in the ocean. Ave speed is 23-25. You are comfortable with the new 115 as being a solid motor? Thanks Paul

It is the most-mature technology available; based on the older 2-stroke blocks. Solid.

Use the 3R4032001M carb that was made for the 6A2. Earlier EPA rating. Better idle. Year is irrelevant.

Back