Logo

1996 Johnson 40ph overheating troubles

Barty777

Hello, I bought a Crestliner this year and it has a 96Johnson 40hp motor. It was oil injected when I bought it and I've hadtroubles in the past so the first thing I did was disconnect it and switch tomixing the oil/gas 50 to 1. It has been running perfect for me all yearso far. Last week when I went out fishing it was acting goofy when I firststarted it up. Cranking fine but just wouldn’t turn over. After a couple of minutes it started up. Ithought it was a little weird but I drove across the lake and startedfishing. After a while we decided tocheck out another spot. The motorstarted right back up and I began to drive. It seemed like it wasn’t getting the power that it normally does. Istopped checked the motor for debris but nothing was there and the tell tailseemed to be peeing fine. I started drivingagain and then I got the “hot” alarm. I immediatelyshut off the motor and we fished for a while to let it cool off. I then started it back up with no problem anddrove for home for about 30 seconds and got the alarm again. I shut it off right away and fishedagain. After a while I tried to start itback up and it wouldn’t turn over so we ended up getting towed back in to mydock at my house. I’m not sure what tothink of it. Still won’t start back upand it is still at my dock in the water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Back