Logo

Evinrude 7.5 (1980)

Fishermanpaddy

Hi Folks, I have recently purchased a 1980 7.5hp Evinrude (E8BACSS). Its in very good condition for its age and I bought it as a non runner as the woman selling it was selling it for her elderly dad and didnt know anything about it.

Anyway long story short I replaced the aux tank, fuel line and primer bulb as the old ones were all shot but I kept the fuel line connectort. It started no problem on the 3rd pull and pumped water good. however I took it for a quick test on the lake and it ran 100% for about 20 minutes then just died on me. The only way I could get it started was on full choke and even at that only at idle. One thing I did notice was that the female fuel line connector is leaking like crazy, I had a look and the o-ring on it is completely shot (new connector ordered).

My question is would this issue possibly be caused by the pump sucking air through the leak? I have had a look at the carb needle valve and its as clean as a whistle. I Know my limits and Im not going to strip the carb out and cause some sort of damage so ill take it for a proper service if this might be the problem?

Any help much appreciated folks.

Thanks

As "racerone" indicates..... a fuel leak anywhere between the fuel pump and the fuel supply causes the fuel pump to draw air via that same leakage point..

Hi folks, I have replaced the connector and replaced the hose to the carb with clear hose. I'm confident now that the fuel delivery is good up to the carb and iv also replaced the two spark plugs.

Any advice on next steps?

Thanks

Back