Logo

1975 30hp chrysler out board choke probs

Hello All,

I just bought a boat with a 30 hp motor it was missing the rod and screw for the electric choke. I since have bought and in stalled but know very little on how these engines work. I hook it up to a 12volt source and it will close but when i turn on the key or turn it over i get nothing it doesn't move..Not sure were to go from here any help would be great.. ty

Hello All,

I just bought a boat with a 30 hp motor it was missing the rod and screw for the electric choke. I since have bought and in stalled but know very little on how these engines work. I hook it up to a 12volt source and it will close but when i turn on the key or turn it over i get nothing it doesn't move..Not sure were to go from here any help would be great.. ty

OK ill try and be more clear. I can wire it off the switch to come on when i start it. and it will stay on Choke until i turn key and stop the power it the solenoid. Even after i get it started and it warms up the choke will only stay on or off it does not move as it warms up. there is only one wire to the plunger solenoid. what makes it move as it warms up?? all i can do is get it to choke it all the way or off all the way no inbetween. what might this be?

The choke isn't like a car choke.
It's either on or off.
No warming and closing.

The key switch when turned on needs to be pushed in to activate the choke.

The choke when activated allows the motor to draw a richer fuel mix and is usually needed only needed at startup.

If you need to choke to keep it running the carb probably needs to be cleaned.

The choke isn't like a car choke.
It's either on or off.
No warming and closing.

The key switch when turned on needs to be pushed in to activate the choke.

The choke when activated allows the motor to draw a richer fuel mix and is usually needed only needed at startup.

If you need to choke to keep it running the carb probably needs to be cleaned.

OK went out and push on the key and it does engage the choke. never would of guessed that. so pushed and turned it over held for about 3 sec and let got and it ran fine. it was warm here and sitting in sun hope does the same when it colder if not will look at carb but for the most part it did just what you said ty very much.

In colder weather it will start harder but still should start.
NEVER use starting fluid.
But if you do, use it sparingly.
Before you spend or do a lot to this motor do a compression and spark test.
These 2cyl. can run on 1cyl. and actually run pretty good.

Back