Logo

Shift shaft issues

mtrel

[FONT=&quot]Hello all. I was hoping to get some help with my Alpha one gen 2 not shifting. My impeller imploded on my first run of the season. I removed the outdrive to replace the impeller. I found the shutters in the exhaust path as well as the melted plastic water tube guide. Also the top of the sear carrier under the water pump looked worn on the top so I replaced it. It all went together well until I noticed that the prop wasn’t locking in gear no matter what I did. I searched this site and checked the usual things with no luck and wound up dropping the lower half. The shift shaft had very little resistance when turned and I could pull it up out of its seat. I removed the two screws on the shift shaft bushing mount and found that the clip holding the rod down was not in its groove. Now with the rod our of its bushing and without the clip I am unable to shift manually. There is no resistance. I can spin the shift rod around usually without going into gear. If I fool around with it long enough I can get it to go into forward I think (prop locked going counter clockwise.) But it takes a lot to get it there. The splines on the shift rod look fine to me. I should also mention that my son knocked the lower half over on my garage floor right before I was going to put the two halves together. It didn’t fall on any of the shafts but it was jarring at least. Any help would be appreciated[/FONT]

take a flash light and look down the shift shaft hole. The bell crank or C shaped shift arm may have shifted position slightly

you should see a round piece with splines on the inside of the circle.

If not you will need to find it and manipulate it into position if possible.

Once you do that if you can, insert the shift shaft (without the bushing in place) and turn it full clockwise while spinning the prop/prop shaft counterclockwise until it locks. Once this occurs then remove the shaft carefully, insert it thru the bushing and install the E clip and then reinstall shaft and bushing together. the end of the shift shaft The bent end must point to 12:00 when in full forward gear.

Item 2 in picture

take a flash light and look down the shift shaft hole. The bell crank or C shaped shift arm may have shifted position slightly

Once you do that if you can, insert the shift shaft (without the bushing in place) and turn it full clockwise while spinning the prop/prop shaft counterclockwise until it locks. Once this occurs then remove the shaft carefully, insert it thru the bushing and install the E clip and then reinstall shaft and bushing together. the end of the shift shaft The bent end must point to 12:00 when in full forward gear.

Item 2 in picture

I did look down the shaft with a flashlight but did not see the circle with splines. I will try to get a better view and maybe shake it into position when I get home from work. Thanks for your help.

IMG_1356.jpg

Item 2 in picture

THANK YOU!!!! This solved my problem! A few smacks with a rubber mallet and I could see that part come into view. I was able to line it up easily and now it shifts fine. One thing that concerns me is now is that when the unit is in gear and the prop is locked I am still able to turn the prop when I use some force without the driveshaft turning. It feels like a slipping clutch. Is this normal?

THANK YOU!!!! This solved my problem! A few smacks with a rubber mallet and I could see that part come into view. I was able to line it up easily and now it shifts fine. One thing that concerns me is now is that when the unit is in gear and the prop is locked I am still able to turn the prop when I use some force without the driveshaft turning. It feels like a slipping clutch. Is this normal?

In the lower unit all the gears, FWD, REV and the pinion (drive gear) are always spinning, ALWAYS!!

WHat you are doing when shifting is engaging either FWD or REV with the clutch dog.

So what you describe is impossible unless one of the gears is wiped out and that would be evident as Grey matter in the gear oil........

With the shift shaft turned fully clockwise , and the prop locked turning it counterclockwise and you turn the prop and the diveshaft dosent move means gear damage.

With the shift shaft turned fully clockwise , and the prop locked turning it counterclockwise and you turn the prop and the diveshaft dosent move means gear damage.

It turns out the driveshaft was turning and the prop shaft does lock. I got everything back together and working fine, in my driveway at least. I'll hopefully test it in the water this weekend. Thanks for your help everyone.

Back