Logo

hi, i have a 1988 force 50 hp outboard that I've been working on and running for about five years and I'm stumped. I took the boat out on the water today and when I pulled it out of the water I notice a little bit of oil in the water pump intake screen. I've noticed this before and I thought it needed lower unit gaskets replaced which I replaced. I am 90% sure that The gasket job was perfect. My question is did I miss something other than the lower unit gasket set. Is there a set of gaskets and o rings in the upper part of the lower unit that needs to be replaced or should I look at this job again? I'll try to post more info in the morning as well as some photos. Thanks in advance.:cool:

Welcome, Any water in the oil?No, then it's not coming from there???

Drop the lower.
Try draining the lower of oil and spray the outside of the lower with dish soap
and a small shot of compressed air and see if bubbles show.

Turn compressor as far down as it can go.
Don't wanna blow out any good seals.

If there is no water in the oil the leakage may be normal.--------------It may well be the wasted oil / gas that goes through the motor without burning.--------It runs down the exhaust housing and is often mistaken for gear oil leakage.

If there is no water in the oil the leakage may be normal.--------------It may well be the wasted oil / gas that goes through the motor without burning.--------It runs down the exhaust housing and is often mistaken for gear oil leakage.
That's what my father was thinking because I run the engine really rich because of its age. When I was in there doing the lower unit, it was as clean as can be. The only reason for replacing the o rings was dry rot, otherwise prime condition. I wish I had pictures. I replaced the Magneto two years ago and the top looked new as well. I had a mechanic service the engine before my move to Florida and he seems to think there are almost zero hours on this motor. I think I'm gonna leave well enough alone. I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks race and jerry

Well I took it out today on the St johns river for an all day fishing and driving expedition. Got back, dropped the oil and not one bit of water. I also backed off on my mix a little bit and the oil that I was seeing around the pump intake is still there but not like it was. Also I opened it up a lot today which I almost never do and the motor burned off some caked on gunk. So all around good day today. But it's a 1988 50 hp force, tomorrow may bring a whole new set of challenges. It will have to wait till next week as back to work tomorrow. Thanks for all the views and tips and I'm glad I didn't tear it down again. I like the forum and am gonna stay around. Good night to all

Glad it's working.
Next step might be a de-carb.
I use Mercury's PowerrTune or OMC Engine Tuner.
Both are the same product, just different name.

Follow the instructions.
I always change plugs after the de-carb.

Glad it's working.
Next step might be a de-carb.
I use Mercury's PowerrTune or OMC Engine Tuner.
Both are the same product, just different name.

Follow the instructions.
I always change plugs after the de-carb.

Jerry thanks for the tip. If I could ask you another question. When I had the boat winterized this last year I actually had a marina up in Georgia do it. I have since moved to Florida. I was talking to the boat mechanic about replacing some of these old parts. I was going to replace the stater and trigger because when I replaced the magneto they looked to me to be a bit old and worn and I thought that all three of them should be new. He said it might be smarter to start work on the fuel system on this particular motor. He also said that the electrical system was in good condition because of how well the motor runs. I was wondering if you agree with starting with the fuel pump as well. The motor runs extremely well when it runs. It breaks down alot due to whatever 30 year old part has ended it's life. I would like to eventually rebuild this entire motor one piece at a time as I can't afford a new one.

IF?? It ain't broke?? don't fix it.
The only thing I'd think about is the starter. The brushes are at the bottom of the starter and all crud goes down into the brushes and needs to be cleaned out.
A rebuild kit is under $20 and should be done or checked every 2-3 years.
Now your in Fl.??? Where? Salt water or Fresh water use?

The fuel system: replace all the hoses and the diaphragm in the pump.
The inline connectors can leak and suck air.
Remove or replace.
Built in tank or portable?
Built in? use a water separating filter in the system(ethanol causes water)

IF?? It ain't broke?? don't fix it.
The only thing I'd think about is the starter. The brushes are at the bottom of the starter and all crud goes down into the brushes and needs to be cleaned out.
A rebuild kit is under $20 and should be done or checked every 2-3 years.
Now your in Fl.??? Where? Salt water or Fresh water use?

The fuel system: replace all the hoses and the diaphragm in the pump.
The inline connectors can leak and suck air.
Remove or replace.
Built in tank or portable?
Built in? use a water separating filter in the system(ethanol causes water)

I will de_carb this weekend as I am removing the carb for some cleaning. I will also replace all of the gas line. I can't tell if it's dry rotted or pitted because it's painted but it will be done either way, also fuel filter. I haven't decided if I'll rebuild the fuel pump or just buy a new one. As you can see the tanks are separate and I use it in both salt and fresh water. I have not put ethanol gas in recently but have in the past. I included some photos of my rebuilt boat for fun. Thanks Scratch that picture thing. I will try again when the boss gets home.

Probably not gonna find a new pump.
Diaphragms are about $6

No pics???

If you don't install the water sep filter at least put a filter between the carb and the pump.

Wallyworld G-2 or 3 or 12.

Where in Fl?

notsobigjoe Jerryjerry said decarb he meant remove airbox on carb and spray engine tuner,"decarbonizer" into carb throats while engine is running,follow instructions on can closely. Thought that would clear things up!!

Soak in acid??
New one on me.
My carbs are 28 and never had that.

I do the decarb every 2-3 years and clean the recirc system at the same time.

If your move to Fl put you on the Treasure Coast? look me up and you can fish with us.

Thanks for the video and the link.

Another thing I do is leave the cover loose and the condensation won't build up on the motor.
Try to keep the tank full and use stabilizers if not using for a while.6mo or more.

Thanks for all the tips jerry. My wife will help me get some photos of my rebuilt boat on tonight. I've decided to go with a fuel/water separating filter. should be pretty easy.

Back