Logo

merc 4.3 with alpha one outdrive won't go down from trailer mode?

meegs

I have a 89 Wellcraft with a MercCruiser 4.3L with a Alpha one outdrive that has a trailer mode I cannot get it to go down , I just picked this boat up it sat for 18months was completely winterized before parked starts great idles smooth but it wont go down from the trailer trim mode / any suggestions or areas to start looking? Thanks

The main reason why you never store a drive full up or full down
Make sure the res is full and :
Have someone stand/jump on the drive while you hold the down button.
Reverse the 2 hyd lines at the pump and use the higher "up" pressure to try to get it moving down.If it moves, spray the shafts liberally with a penetrating oil

Does the relay click or motor hum or anything?

Likely a bad connection or blown fuse somewhere. Would start at the trim motor with a multi-meter, see if you're getting 12V on the terminals while holding down the button, if you are then motor is likely shot. If you're not then I'd probably test if you have voltage at the switch, will give you an idea of where the problem is.

Last edited:
the motor is running and the lines are jumping the pump has oil in it / was going to try cracking the lines and putting pressure on it, thoughts?=JoshNZ;540894]Does the relay click or motor hum or anything?

Likely a bad connection or blown fuse somewhere. Would start at the trim motor with a multi-meter, see if you're getting 12V on the terminals while holding down the button, if you are then motor is likely shot. If you're not then I'd probably test if you have voltage at the switch, will give you an idea of where the problem is.[/QUOTE]

Stored upright may have compromised the seals and O rings If it will not move with the higher up pressure ,their frozen internally and may need a rebuild job

I will give it hell , would it help to open the line's and do it without putting power to it or do it under power? Thanks
Stored upright may have compromised the seals and O rings If it will not move with the higher up pressure ,their frozen internally and may need a rebuild job

If you loosen both lines at the pump and fluid leaks out, and you cannot push the drive down then one or both pistons inside the trim rams is stuck.

One or both need to be rebuilt.
Seen it many times!!!

Not to difficult to do and sometimes just taking them apart and a good cleaning and they will work again.

I have a 1996 Maxum with a Mercruiser inboard/outboard 3.0LX Alpha One. It has been running fine all spring and summer and we just took it out the other day, but after putting it in the water, my wife noticed that the outboard will not go down. The switch and pump are working just fine. The fluid is fine as well. We tried to have someone move the switch while another stood on it, but that did not budge it. Like I said, it worked fine 5 days prior to this outing. When we move the switch, it doesn't even move a centimeter. I noticed these wires have been frayed for a couple of years. Could this be the reason it won't go down? And if so, I am pretty sure I can just connect some new wire to it, but don't know what kind of wire that should be. Thanks for any help.
boat.jpg

the TS puck, trim sender has nothing to do with trim/tilt, the TL trim limit only works top stop upward travel , then trailer mode takes over
See post 2

Back