Logo

Honda BF225 fuel issue, I need help!

Kingfisher2425

Hello, I have a 2006 Honda 225 HP serial number BAGJ – 1402456. The motor currently has 340 hours and has been well taken care of. I have clean fuel in the tank and have replaced the low pressure and high pressure fuel filters. I can drive the boat all day long at higher rpms with no issues. After we stop and fish for a while and then try to restart the motor, it will run fine for a few minutes and then it starves for fuel in the 2000 - 4000 RPM range and dies. It progressively gets worse, until the point it will not even fire when turning the motor over. I can always make it start and run fine by having somebody pump the bulb primer continuously. As long as I keep the RPMs above 4000 it will run perfect Once I stop and try to restart it or do low idle maneuvers the problem starts again. I know it's a fuel issue but can't determine if it's the low pressure or high pressure fuel pump, or something totally different?? Would the motor have flashed codes for the times the motor failed to run properly? I show no check engine light on the dash. The problem seems to exist after the motor has been ran under a load and after the engine has been used for 1/2 hour plus, I can never duplicate the problem in my yard with it idling.

Any advice would be more than appreciated!!!!

respectfully,
Wes in Alaska

Last edited:
Interesting problem.

Some top-of-mind things to try first...

1. Open up your fuel filler cap and see if that fixes the problem. If so, you have a (partially) clogged vent on your fuel tank. If it is only partially clogged, you won't see the telltale collapsing of the bulb under high rpm's

2. Another possibility would be a failing or stiff check valve in the pump-up bulb. At higher speeds, there is a lot of suction on that part of the fuel system, so it might not be evident at higher rpm's. You can temporarily bypass the pump up bulb. If you do, when you are ready to start the engine, turn on the key switch and pause a few seconds before attempting to start to allow the HP fuel pump to fully charge the fuel system.

3. If you have an external fuel/water separator, when is the last time you changed the filter element? They do get clogged up.

4. When is the last time you cleaned the on board fuel/water separator? They can also get clogged up. As a temporary fix, remove it and spray down with carb cleaner, then soak it in clean fuel.

5. It seems that if the LP fuel pump was failing, then it would fail at higher speeds. BUT, the HP fuel pump may be compensating for it. The definitive test is to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel relief opening on top of the HP fuel filter, and test the fuel pressure. It should be between 41 and 48 psi at idle with the prop removed and the engine in gear. If below that, and items 1-4 above check out, then remove the LP fuel pump and inspect it and operate it by hand to see how well it pumps. Inspect the cam arm for excessive wear.

All very good points, Thank you! I bought a new fuel/water separator today and am curious about the fuel vent and a few of the other ideas you mention. I will check them out and let you know of any progress. Thanks again :)

I found out why there is a screen on the filler vent. Mud wasps. On an Evinrude I discovered the screen was missing, and the vent was plugged. I don't remember if I was having fuel issues.

Kingfisher,

I'm having similar issues with fuel on my 07' 225 with 280 HRS. Was running at 4000 RPM and boat bogged down to almost a complete stop then bucked a few times and started running again. Ran good all the way back to the house. The next day same thing happened again, but I lost prime on the bulb. The motor wouldn't start at all. I got the bulb hard again then it started and would buck again here and here at 3000-4000 RPM,. Finally on last stop, took a while to start and had to idle back to the house because it would bog down trying to get on plane. I'd be interest in hearing what you find out. I called someone to come look at it next week.

Back