Logo

4, 5, 6hp remote control kit compatibility with Mercury

Masato Deguchi

Hoping someone can confirm or deny this.... Given that current model year Mercs in the 4, 5, and 6 hp range are being manufactured by Tohatsu on behalf of Mercury, would it be safe to assume that the remote control connection kits by Tohatsu are 100% compatible for use on a 2016 Mercury? I was told by a local Mercury dealer that no remote connection kits are available for Mercury motors unless I move up to a 9.9 and yet such kits appear to be available for the smaller Tohatsus as confirmed by a local Tohatsu dealer. Given the choice, I would buy a Tohatsu and just be done with it but none of my local dealers can get one for me in the short time frame that I have so in all likelihood I will pay a few more $$$ on a Merc... Notwithstanding, I still want to convert from tiller to remote control and would like to know if there will be any issues in buying the Tohatsu hardware for use on a Merc. Any known design nuances that might affect the compatibility?
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The kit will fit. Be 100% sure that you match up the correct model, as there are major differences in the kits. The older B models had the side shifter, whereas the front shifter is the C model. The kit for the Tohatsu 4/5/6C (current model) costs about $275 MSRP. It will give you throttle and shift, but there is no electric start option for motors smaller than 8 hp.

Back