Logo

electronic ignition

39Hutch

Hi, new here, pls be gentle. Have a circa 1965 interceptor 427, 300hp. Any recommendations for brands of replacement electronic ignition parts? The points/condenser/rotor have to go. Thanks.

I haven't checked the catalog but Mallory setups work well if you want the whole distributor...if you want just a kit - make sure the distributor is in good shape, mechanically. Some also cite the Davis systems as being excellent....and if you opt for a new distributor - make sure it is marine rated.

I haven't checked the catalog but Mallory setups work well if you want the whole distributor...if you want just a kit - make sure the distributor is in good shape, mechanically. Some also cite the Davis systems as being excellent....and if you opt for a new distributor - make sure it is marine rated.
Thank you makomark, for your thoughts I'm thinking of going summit racing, but now you are saying that it is not marine rated. ****. New distributor coil wires, the works. Maybe Pertronics is better? Its a mid 1960s 427 ford in a 1939 Hutchinson built in A-Bay in NY . Not sure if you are fam with the River. Thank you for your input.

427dui2.jpg
Hi, new here, pls be gentle. Have a circa 1965 interceptor 427, 300hp. Any recommendations for brands of replacement electronic ignition parts? The points/condenser/rotor have to go. Thanks.

I can highly recommend the DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) system from Performance Distributors. Talk to Steve Davis, tell him I am the one who recommended him and I am sure he will work with you.

He has run out of the FE motor reverse rotation distributor gears but will take the one off your old distributor if it is still in good conditiion and put it on a totally new HEI style distributor, and Steve is the "only" person I know who will take the time to do this for the classic boating people, a custom setup for a FE motor (reverse rotation).

I have installed three of these on my own 427 motors with fabulous results, two on a 38 Commander, and one on a 23 Lancer restoration project. They are big so the clearance may be an issue. On my twin engine Commander I had to rotate a brass T-fitting and replumb the water return lines, and modify a throttle plate, but it was pretty easy. The system is a one-wire hook up, and it provides 50,000 volts to the plugs, which must be gapped 2x the normal setting due to the hot spark. Coil and everything is contained in the distributor.

Here is their link http://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/

The reliability and running quality these made on my Commander is very impressive.

Here are a couple photos of one of my installations.

regards, Paul

photo109.jpg

427dui-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back