Logo

Need Help with Correct PROP Size and Pitch

fisherman9985

Contributing Member
I have a 1995 150 HP Johnson Model number J150ELEOM and need to know what the correct Prop Size and Pitch that is required for my motor. I tried to look it up on the Manuel here online but it don't show the size/pitch of it. I recently spun the hub out and need to replace it but might want to buy a new prop instead of fixing the one I have now. Please help and advise.

No one here can help you.---------You need to post information , such as the boat / load and the type of boating you do.

No one here can help you.---------You need to post information , such as the boat / load and the type of boating you do.

The Boat is a 1989 17 ft center console sea pro bay boat. Type of boating is recreational fishing and boating. usually no more than 3 people in the boat at a weight of 175 per person. boat is rated for 1750 pounds including motor gear and people or 5 people.

How well did it perform before the hub spun? You need to use WOT rpms to find the proper size/pitch prop. I dont know the specs for your motor but guessing you want 5500rpms max with a light load to extend the service life of the motor.

How well did it perform before the hub spun? You need to use WOT rpms to find the proper size/pitch prop. I dont know the specs for your motor but guessing you want 5500rpms max with a light load to extend the service life of the motor.

well performance I would say is kinda tricky... I have owned the boat for about a year and a half now and was battling an overheating issue and resolved that issue by replacing everything possible that would cause the engine to over heat and it stopped according to my thermal temp gun. Now for the present information regarding the performance of the engine I still are battling a slight problem that I can't figure out is that I am unable to run the motor any higher than 3400 rpms without the engine acting as it is going to over heat or go into slow mode. When it does this I literally turn the engine off and then fire it right back up and are able to go back to running the motor without any problems. Everything checks out good for the engine as far as good compression, and also a good reading on the tach. The engine is able to reach wot at 5500 rpms but can only stay at that speed for maybe a total of 30 seconds before it acts as it is overheating or go into slow mode at which I have to turn it off and crank back up in order to like reset the engine. As long as I stay at 3400 rpms the engine performs well and no problems and at this speed I am able to reach 38 mph. At 5500rpms though I am able to get the boat to 52 mph at wot. I just took a look at the prop I have now and it says it is a 14 1/2 x24 pitch prop which I feel is not the original prop for the motor cause it sounds as the pitch is way to high??? Any ideas possibly could the prop that I have now have been causing the engine to not go any higher than 3400 rpms for a longer period of time than 30 seconds? Please help and advise...

I talked to evinrude today and they said they can't give me any type of specs for my motor for the pitch which you would think they could since they are the ones that made the motor

NO, NO-----------They build the motor but they do not know what boat you are putting that motor on !!------------Try determining what transmission you need in a highway tractor trailer.-------It all depends on whether you are hauling steel ingots or cotton balls.

well performance I would say is kinda tricky... I have owned the boat for about a year and a half now and was battling an overheating issue and resolved that issue by replacing everything possible that would cause the engine to over heat and it stopped according to my thermal temp gun. Now for the present information regarding the performance of the engine I still are battling a slight problem that I can't figure out is that I am unable to run the motor any higher than 3400 rpms without the engine acting as it is going to over heat or go into slow mode. When it does this I literally turn the engine off and then fire it right back up and are able to go back to running the motor without any problems. Everything checks out good for the engine as far as good compression, and also a good reading on the tach. The engine is able to reach wot at 5500 rpms but can only stay at that speed for maybe a total of 30 seconds before it acts as it is overheating or go into slow mode at which I have to turn it off and crank back up in order to like reset the engine. As long as I stay at 3400 rpms the engine performs well and no problems and at this speed I am able to reach 38 mph. At 5500rpms though I am able to get the boat to 52 mph at wot. I just took a look at the prop I have now and it says it is a 14 1/2 x24 pitch prop which I feel is not the original prop for the motor cause it sounds as the pitch is way to high??? Any ideas possibly could the prop that I have now have been causing the engine to not go any higher than 3400 rpms for a longer period of time than 30 seconds? Please help and advise...
If you can reach 5500 rpm at all, then you are not over propped. I have a 2000 Johnson 150 Oceanpro which at one time would shake violently at 3500 rpm for no apparent reason. I read somewhere that if the spark plug wires run too close to the temperature alarm wires the problem I experienced could occur. Re-routed the wires to give maximum separation from the plug wires and the problem went away. Don't know if it was coincidence or not but have not had the problem since wit at least 20 hours operating.

i found out today that problem that was causing my engine to go into slow mode was the Blocking Diode. Replaced it and now the engine works fine. only thing that is wrong now is that the engine at WOT is around 4800-5000 only. my prop is a 24 pitch prop. do i need to go down in pitch or what?

My 2000 Oceanpro 150 has an operating wot range specified between 4500 and 5500. 24 pitch seems high for a 150hp but with a light boat you might still achieve 5500 rpm. You could try borrowing one with a 2 inch lesser pitch. Mine for a long time would not run above 4800 until I found air leaking into the fuel bulb. After tightly clamping both ends of the fuel bulb my rpm is now around 5300 at wot. BTW my prop is a 14.5x19 stainless which is a normal OMC offering.

Do you have a water pressure guage? You could be lossing water pressure at higher speeds and this will cause the motor to over heat at higher speeds. Your motor can be to high off the transom and cause you to lose the water pressure.
If that is not the case you could have the motor to far in the water (sitting on transom) and this will cause a drag in the water in sence you will lose rpms and speed. There is a sweet spot for every boat.

Back