Logo

Mariner 40hp

baz67

Hi all, I have recently purchased a Mariner 40hp but cannot pin down the year of manufacture. I know the following - It is a Yamaha built engine from the 80s, it is an electric start, twin cylinder, twin carburettor, non oil injected model.
It does not have an id plate with the usual info on it but instead has a six digit number stamped on both the transom bracket and the power head.
I wondered if this was perhaps a former forces or rnli engine?
The stamped number starts with a 6 and the only reference I have found on the web is that there were EUL models built with this number range.
I have no idea what EUL stands for as opposed to M, ML, E, EL, etc etc.
Any info would be gratefully received.
Thanks

In the 1980's there were two very different Mariner's - both had Yamaha built powerheads.

One was the "Yami/Mariner" which was simply a Yamaha model (most often discontinued by Yami) that was branded (for Merc) as a Mariner.

The second was a Merc/Mariner, powerhead and gears by Yami, but assembled in a Merc plant and "mechanically identical" to the corresponding Merc model - just different paint and decals.

The Yami Mariners had a funky kinda model/serial number combination which looked like 6E9 ML 018006 where the Merc/Mariner's had: "prior to late 85" all digits 6228285 and 86-on 0C159200.

Merc did not produce a 40 between 1984 and 1988, so that may narrow it down for you if you are certain it's a 1980's motor (greater chance it's a Yami Mariner).

I believe an EUL would be an "electric start ultra-long shaft" which (I think) is what they call the 30" shaft with 25" being "extra long", 20" "long" and 15" "short" - I am not aware of a factory offering for anything other than a long or short shaft on a 40 from either Merc or Yami in the 40 horse - so not sure what you were seeing.

If you can post a picture it may help nail it down a little.

There was A, B, and C model 40's produced Mariners (the 100% Yami ones) - none had (on-board) oil injection, the later C models came with Auto Blend but that was a system that hooked in (independently) between the fuel tank and the motor - most were removed and thrown far enough away that they wouldn't crawl back and spontaneously reconnect (although my fishing buddy just sold a 1990, 90 horse Force with an original, never repaired, fully functional Auto Blend - perhaps the only unit on the planet that didn't fail and toast the motor).

The "twin carbs" in your description "tends to indicate" that you have a Yamaha/Mariner model 40C that may or may not have come with Auto Blend (depending on the year). That would still leave a "huge year range" of between 1981 (first year of the C models) and 1992 (the last year of the 40 Yami/Mariner).

Sorry, can't get more specific without more details (numbers)...

Hi Graham, thanks very much for info so far.
I forgot to mention on my original post that the motor is fitted with power tilt. I cant say for sure whether it would have been an original fitment or has been retrofitted. On further research on this site I see that a Mariner 40C (twin carburetor) (w/auto-blend) ET model was built. These are listed as serial #500101 & up so I guess thats a possibility although my stamped number 601148 seems a bit high. Would there be any evidence that auto blend had been fitted or was it all external workings?
I came across the EUL model while looking up part numbers on this site. If you look up (eg) 40C twin carburetor and go to the carburetor section, part 30 is a left hand screw listed for an (EL 418727 EUL 620175) and below.
I will try to upload a picture soon but motor is currently away from home.

The Auto-Blend was an "add on" system that was used on a number of models/brands, so no way to tell if it was there or not. You simply plugged the gas line from your tank to the auto blend (box) and then the auto-blend hose hooked up to your motor. It was a basic concept - pump the gas to the auto-blend, mix it with oil (operated with a 9 volt battery if my memory is correct) and then fed the "mixed" gas/oil to the motor - so the motor "didn't know" whether it was getting "premixed" or auto-blend mixed.

The system didn't work mostly due to either shoddy design or manufacture (or perhaps a dead battery that went un-noticed) and fed "un-mixed" gas causing engine break-downs.

The only "hint" would be the "oil injection" stickers on the cowl or the designation of an "ELO" (as an example - "electric start, long shaft, oil injected") on the plate/sticker.

I have fairly extensive serial listings for the Mariners (Yami built) up to the final year (1992), but nothing on the (or any) EUL models - not saying they weren't there, just never have seen, heard of and have no listing for them.

But having said that they did have a bit of a (system) to identify/classify the models.

All the 40 "C"'s (gas models, they also made ones that would run on Kerosene) started with the Yami identifier 6E9, followed by the designation that identified if they were manual, electric, long etc followed by the actual serial.

So you would get 6E9 ML 311324 (as an example).

The models (I) have listed for the gas models are:

M - manual start (rope) short
ML - manual start long
E - electric short
EL - electric long
ELO - electric long with auto-blend, and
ET - electric start with tilt (only see listed as "basically" and ELO with power tilt)

All of the "M" serials start with "zero" so 6E9 M 001863 (or 018863) etc
All of the EM's start with a "three" 6E9 ML 31234 etc
The "E"'s start with a "one" and the EL's start with a "four".
The ET's (phone home - if you are old enough to know that one :) ) - all start with a "five"

So entirely possible that if you have "another version", it would have/could have started with a "six" as the first serial digit. I would suspect that it would be "mechanically" just a model C, twin carb.

Sorry, can't shed any more light on your particular motor at this point. I don't even know "who else" to ask (on this site or anywhere else for that matter)...

It is odd to see the EUL mentioned as I've never noticed it before but doing a search online shows EUL and even a few others such as MUL, SUL.

1383-9516M CARBURETOR ASSEMBLY (1 required per assembly) M-026304 ML-325084 MUL-601286 E-107089 EL-415058 EUL-620236 AND ABOVE From here, http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...30a/689411947-thru-689550100---el/carburetor/
In here mentions the SUL, such as the second item #1, #34, ETC. http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/703_160.cfm Or in case the link won't open for you, DRIVESHAFT HOUSING (ML, EL AND SUL).

But using the old Mercury model designation list, it doesn't show the letter U.:confused:

For the 30 inch shaft, the chart shows EXL EXTRA ETRA LONG SHAFT (30")
* MODEL TYPE CHART
M ROPE START
PT POWER TRIM
L LONG SHAFT (20")
XL EXTRA LONG SHAFT (25")
E ELECTRIC START
C COUNTER ROTATION
H TILLER HANDLE STEERING
EXL EXTRA ETRA LONG SHAFT (30")
O OIL INJECTION
OS OFFSHORE MODEL
S&L SHORT & LONG MODELS