Logo

Teleflex Hydralic Steering Leak issue.

Over the winter I replaced my Hydralic steering 100%.

New Helm, hoses, and both cylinders.

All Teleflex and Sea Star parts.

It is a world cat boat with a liquid tie bar Valve in between the cylinders.

i am having fluid leak out of the fill plug on hot days and can not figure out how to stop it. I have been filling it and then using it with now issues but want to stop the leak as it is messy and should not happen.

and thoughts?

Troy

More Detailed info from an email I just sent to SeaStar:

I replaced the Helm, Hoses, and 2 New Cylinders on my WorldCat Boat this past winter so all new 100%.

I am having a strange issue that I think you’re going totell me is Air in the System. J butI figured I would ask.

The System has a Tilt Sport Helm attached to 2 26 FTTelexflex hoses attached to 2 HC5347-3 cylinders.
As it is a World Cat I have a Liquid Tie Bar Valve betweenthe 2 Cylinders.

I have Bleed the System and can get the relief valves to popon each side by overturning the wheel in either direction.
The Engines are staying aligned and not separating andturning smooth.

The issue I am having is between trips I have about a weekof time and each time I go to use the boat I have Hydraulic Fluid on thefloor under the Helm and the Fluid level is low. While cleaning the messand looking for leaks I have noticed that it is wet with oil around whereyou fill the Helm with Fluid. I know it has a vented cap but itseems like the fluid is coming out of the fill plug. It is tilted up maybe 10degrees on the helm and this is how World cat had it installed.

I add in new fluid and charge the system by turning end toend and bleed the lines again for about 10 minutes and then things are fine forthe day. The same thing happens next trip.

Any thoughts?
Should I go to a Non Vented Cap to stop the fluid.
Could this be air that is contracting and expanding in thesun?

Troy

Hydraulic fluid should not expand with heat. (Well, more accurately, the coefficient of expansion is very low, so any expansion would be would be extremely low.) The next time you open the fill plug, check the rubber O ring on the cap. If any question about it, replace it. Typically you can find a match at a hardware store. If that is good, replace the cap.

One thing that will cause expansion is water. If water is in the system anywhere, it would cause your problem.

A quick remedy is to not fill the reservoir completely. Leave a little space in the reservoir - say 1/4 inch below the rim. It should not significantly affect performance.

Hydraulic fluid should not expand with heat. (Well, more accurately, the coefficient of expansion is very low, so any expansion would be would be extremely low.) The next time you open the fill plug, check the rubber O ring on the cap. If any question about it, replace it. Typically you can find a match at a hardware store. If that is good, replace the cap.

One thing that will cause expansion is water. If water is in the system anywhere, it would cause your problem.

A quick remedy is to not fill the reservoir completely. Leave a little space in the reservoir - say 1/4 inch below the rim. It should not significantly affect performance.

So I had some email Exchanges with sea star yesterday and they said that my issue is common with boats with a liquid tie bars between the engines on World Cats.

They said since I am storing the engines Trimmed Up and Centered the weight of the engines have a tendency to separate and the pressure sends fluid back to the Helm through both hoses which depending on the reservoir fluid level will result in fluid exiting through the vented cap.

There Recommendations:

Reduce the Fluid Level a Little.
Use Stabilizer Clips part number HYCL-001 when trailering or storing.
Turning the motors all the way to one side an trimming down when Trailering and Storage would take the load off the system.

I will try these suggestions and see if it helps

Back