Logo

1984 40hp electric neutral safety switch-related

Mark R

I have a 40HP model E40TELCR with what appears to be a neutral safety switch in the base of the steering handle bracket. At the bottom of the shift lever is a hole which contained the parts necessary to depress that switch when shifted into neutral. One or more of those parts popped off and went to the lake bottom. I am left with one round plastic disk that appears that it would push in the switch, a spring, but nothing to attach to the disk from the other side of the hole in the shift lever. I am unable to find a parts diagram that matches my motor on any of the sites. The attached photos explain the situation much better than the words. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• KIMG0032.jpg
    KIMG0032.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 35
  • KIMG0034.jpg
    KIMG0034.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
  • KIMG0036.jpg
    KIMG0036.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 19
  • KIMG0037.jpg
    KIMG0037.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 23
  • KIMG0057.jpg
    KIMG0057.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 15
Thanks. I have gone through all the 40HP Evinrude parts diagrams on this site and others, which appear to all be very similar if not the same, and in all cases I have been unable to find any reference to the part. I believe I can replace the part by using a plastic automotive fastener and a washer to get the correct spacing, but I was hoping to find the actual replacement part.

Thanks, all. I found the part I needed (438618) under "Ignition Systems Parts", and the switch at the base of the tiller handle appears to be the starter switch.

Back