Logo

hard to restart after running for a while

pgrellus

I have a 96 ski centurion with a 5.7 mercruiser fi black scorpion motor. It starts and runs awesome but after killing the engine it takes a few times to start and get going again. I've replaced the spark plugs, cap and rotor so far. I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pump and filter next but would rather get an opinion first.

before you replace parts troubleshoot fuel system.Fuel pressure high enough?fuel lines for leaks.fuel separator for water intrusion. air leaks,troubleshooting is cheaper than guessing!

before you replace parts troubleshoot fuel system.Fuel pressure high enough?fuel lines for leaks.fuel separator for water intrusion. air leaks,troubleshooting is cheaper than guessing!

How do I know if I have enough fuel pressure is there a fuel pressure gauge I can get? I've also replaced the fuel water separator last season but you know now that you mention it it seems like that's when the problem happened after my boat mechanic replaced the water fuel separator

What johnny typed is spot on.....best thing you can do - if you are gonna get into it - is the factory manual...

A standard fuel pressure gauge (EFI type) should have a fitting on the end of its hose that will fit the Schrader valve....

It could also be the way you "kill the engine"; today's fuels don't tolerate heat very well and hard starting could indicate that....especially if you just cut it off after a hard run (like pulling skiers)....

What johnny typed is spot on.....best thing you can do - if you are gonna get into it - is the factory manual...

A standard fuel pressure gauge (EFI type) should have a fitting on the end of its hose that will fit the Schrader valve....

It could also be the way you "kill the engine"; today's fuels don't tolerate heat very well and hard starting could indicate that....especially if you just cut it off after a hard run (like pulling skiers)....

THe thing is I don't even pull skiers any more so it's just regular driving and I've always just killed the engine right after stopping and had never had this problem before. I'm gonna check the fuel pressure and maybe try to let it run for a bit before killing it. I also read that it could be vapor lock but not really sure. Anyways thanks for the input.

Back