Logo

1978 Chrysler 55HP Model 559H8K

CoachLee

Motor starts but does not always propel the Prop. I noticed today when I turn the prop by hand that it does not engage until I have turned it a Little. Any Helpful suggestions to look for are appreciated It would seem to me it could be something involved with The Shaft or Clutch assembly or maybe a gear stripped somewhat Thanks for any help

Last edited:
coach check shift rod linkage for movement at engine and for clicking in lower unit while asst. moves shift lever from neutral to foward back to neutral to reverse etc

Sounds like a linkage problem or the seal that the shift rod goes through is binding?
Un hook the linkage and shift by hand and see if that helps.
If it works then the shift cable or the shifter is bad or needs lube.
The cable needs replacing, not lube.

Motor starts but does not always propel the Prop. I noticed today when I turn the prop by hand that it does not engage until I have turned it a Little. Any Helpful suggestions to look for are appreciated It would seem to me it could be something involved with The Shaft or Clutch assembly or maybe a gear stripped somewhat Thanks for any help

Thanks Guys. The linkage seems to be working. What I have noticed by playing with it a little is that When it is in gear forward or reverse if i wiggle the prop a little it will slip out of gear rotate freely. There is a lot of play in the prop I don't know boat motors but it seems like there should be less end play. What would I do check if there is too much end play if or if it not fully engaging the gears. It just doesn't seem right that by wiggling the prop a little that it would go out of gear, Thanks Again Guys You Guys Are Great!

Thanks guys I seem to have the link is working fine now with the help of you guys.

Part 2 is I accelerate the throttle in forward it seems to bog down a little bit and the same in Reverse it does seem to get better towards the end of Full Throttle but it takes an awful long time to power up in forward and not quite as much and reverse but it bogs down and both

Do a compression and spark test.
Pull the plugs and see if they look the same.

Does the squeezie pump up firm and stay that way until you start?
Check the hoses and tank vent for being open.
Sometimes the connectors leak and suck air.
You have a built in or use a 6 gal.?
That's a rare one as it has 2 carbs. Make sure the linkage opens both butterfly's in the carbs at the same time and both butterfly's are closing at the same time and same position.
Clean the carbs and make sure the high speed jets are clean.

Post the results.

Do a compression and spark test.
Pull the plugs and see if they look the same.

Does the squeezie pump up firm and stay that way until you start?
Check the hoses and tank vent for being open.
Sometimes the connectors leak and suck air.
You have a built in or use a 6 gal.?
That's a rare one as it has 2 carbs. Make sure the linkage opens both butterfly's in the carbs at the same time and both butterfly's are closing at the same time and same position.
Clean the carbs and make sure the high speed jets are clean.

Post the results.
I've had the compression check it was 145 and both cylinders
I read something last night about maybe the one cylinder not working so I was going to check the two spark plugs today to see if they both look used
If both spark plugs look like they're being used I'll move on to more of your suggestions thank you very much

Last edited:
Back