Logo

Mariner 2hp 2 stroke outboard - leaks fuel

andrewpoole

Hi Forum,

I have an elderly 2 stroke 2 hp Mariner - it's not been used for years. In storage, it leaks fuel from "somewhere in carb system". The symptom is fuel dripping from under the front engine control plate. It's definitely not a leaking float chamber gasket,(which was my first thought). The fuel lines and fuel cock seem to be in good condition. Its's a Model 6A1, serial number 125832. Before taking the thing to bits, I'd appreciate any suggestions - eg sticking/faulty float?????

I'm based in the UK.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

If it was stored with fuel in the carburetor it may be gummed up.---------Requires cleaning , and usually no parts required.

I ran the thing dry when last used: I turned fuel cock off, and ran it until it stopped. Though I am prepared to accept that this may not in fact be fully empty - just not enough fuel to run. The fuel leakage is from the underside of the black plastic face plate/air intake assembly. It looks a bit of a pig to take off!

Best Regds

Andrew

I also should have said "Thank You" for your prompt reply! I see the throttle lever knob is held onto the lever itself with a phillips screw, but is the choke knob just a push fit? I've down loaded a parts manual for the motor,(in fact the Yamaha version) which shows various exploded views of the various major units, including the fuel system - think I need to give myself an unhurried hour or so in the garage.

Thanks and Best Regds

Andrew

Did you find a solution? I need help with my engine, there is a part missing on the front cover under in the center of it. It is a small round hole straight into the carburator so when I fill the engine with gas it start leaking. What should be there, what is missing?

Back