Logo

broken brake line -salt water in lines and caliper

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
I know this is not a Volvo thing but we have a Volvo outdrive-- we backed our trailer into salt water which had all new brake lines and calipers installed and one of the brake lines brass fitting broke off and most all the brake fluid had leaked out and salt water went into the hoses and one brake caliper- can I flush the lines out with brake fluid and take apart the caliper and flush it out?-- your thoughts please?
thanks,
tmc boat

Do it quick as possible to prevent rusting. Get a rebuild kit for the caliper if the cylinder is rusted get small brake hone and clean it up and then put it back together you cannot just flush the salt out of the caliper it must be disassembled. The brake line can be flushed with high pressure water and then blow dry with air. I dont imagine a new hose would be that expensive either. Just to be safe flush out the entire system. Brakes are too important to do half assed for sure. Make sure you remove all the salt!

I called Kodiak brake company and they said just flush out the lines with brake fluid and the caliper and it will be ok
thanks,
tmcbat

Back