Logo

Throttle Problems Volvo KAD44p

msaugstad

Help// What's going on?
I have a 24ft. 2004 SeaSport Explorer with a KAD44 for power. There is an ongoing problem with the engine RPM. The problem seems to be getting more pronounced this season.

This is when everything seems to be going fine----

Super Charger works fine when starting the cold engine, Turns off at 100 degrees.
moves along fine 600 RPM to 1,600 RPM Supercharger fires up at 1,600 and boat accelerates and gets on plane at about 2,500 RPM 20kts, I typically cruse at around 2,800 RPM at 22knts. No problems accelerating past 2,800. I've never actually had it at WOT but 3,400 was no problem speed about 28-29 knts.

Life is good///But sometimes and it seems to be more often now to the point I cut this last 4 day cruise to two days.

This is what happens when things are not working right

Cold engine supercharger comes on and turns off at 100 degrees

600 to 1500 rpm, RPM may go up and down with no change to the throttle. At 1,600 rpm even stranger RPM changes with no change in throttle. As throttle is advanced RPMs build boat gets up on plane but RPMs will immediately drop if not pushed to 2,900 to 3,000 rpm. Boat will cruise fine at 3,000 rpm but below 2,900 may start to lose power and rpm drop without changing throttle setting.

Throttle has been calibrated. No error codes. Same problems using aft station throttle. clean fuel filters. tanks clean new air filter, new belt at compressor

In Alaska getting back to port on your own is important as a tow can be hard to find.

If anybody has any ideas

Thanks,

Mark

Back