Logo

Replace exhaust below without removing stern drive.

Hi Guys.

I have bought a Bayliner 2855 Ciera from a dealership in Melbourne Australia.
I was notified that the bellows had been replaced together with the gimble bearing.

After taking the boat out on the bay I noticed the exhaust fumes were quite bad, after further investigation I found the exhaust bellow was not replaced and the exhaust gases were basically blowing out under the swim deck. When questioning the dealership they said they always come off and its not necessary for the exhaust bellow to be installed. Well, I seem to disagree, but have limited experience.

I have taken the boat out for anti-foul and would like to repair this situation as my boat is always on the water. Would it be necessary to totally remove the entire stern drive to replace that exhaust bellow as the other bellows are new or can I get away with replacing it while the stern drive is on?

Any advise will be welcomed.

Thanks.

Hi Guys.

" When questioning the dealership they said they always come off and its not necessary for the exhaust bellow to be installed. Well, I seem to disagree, but have limited experience.

Any advise will be welcomed.

Thanks.

1) Bellows never come off if properly installed.
2) Strictlyspeaking you don't need it, but life onboard while running will often be unpleasant.
3) Replace bellows yourself or pay someone else to do it. DO NOT EVER USE THIS DEALER AGAIN. The ready Bull S$#t response from a dealer or mechanic is a sure indicator of a painful and expensive boat ownership experience with that person.

Thanks for the replies guys.

This is a 7.4 MPL motor with the Bravo 3 drive. Although I do like the sound of the motor with the bellow off, depending which direction the wind is bowing can pull fumes onto the boat which isn't very pleasant as mentioned.
I never realised you could fit a sleeve which I just Googled, but would that make any difference to the fumes? Probably not I would guess.

Sandkicker, I must agree with all your points, I have since decided to move along and do it myself or find another mechanic. If I am going to get it done, it should be done properly. Now I just need to decide on Sleeve or boot?

Exactly, also known as a speed tube or exhaust tube.

The tube is needed on the bravo 3 because of the restricted exhaust through the propeller hubs.

They are a little louder at idle.

Thank you so much Chris, that's what I will go with then. Really appreciate the help and glad I can do this without removing that stern-drive. Al considering the dealership just did it recently.

Thanks Again to all for the advice.

Back