Logo

Mercury 200hp v200 oil injected black max questions

Rjcamel2355

Contributing Member
I was given a 200HP mercury today. Not sure of the year. I'll get the serial number tomorrow. Ran a compression on it and all cylinders seem to be around 120psi.

Dirt dobbers have had a party inside this cowling. Before I ever think of running it I'd like to clean it up.

What's the best way to clean the carbs? Soak them in something or just tear them down and clean them out with carb cleaner?

The oil tank and the advance box is still attached to this motor. I've been told to jerk them both off and mix my oil and gas. Which is fine.

Also it has the external trim (it's all bolted to the motor and not inside the boat if that gives an idea on the year or anything.

Prop size? Has a 23p on it currently.

I had a 150 drop a cylinder on me over the weekend and I'd really like to do everything I can to keep this one together. At least for the season.

Hints tips tricks lemme have them. Please and thank you.

If it has separate trim it a pre 1986. Pull the carbs and soak and clean, use new gasket kits and needles,replace all fuel hoses,replace fuel pump diaphragm,float test the floats.test the ignition system for spark,remove advance module and set timing at 22 degrees cranking, bypass the oiler as it will live longer(chrome bore) and install a new water pump kit with gaskets....

0b169504 is the serial number on the clamp.

Horizontal reeds from what I can see, 82 jets in 1 and 6 all others are 80's

No spark on cylinder 6, even when swapping coil wires. Gonna put a power pack on it this week. Have a good one.

Carbs were very clean, one float was stuck to the bowl.

Oiler removed and advance box gone.

Is this a 2.4 or 2.5 engine?

Thank you fazt, the original owner had a 23p prop on this engine. It was pushing a 20-21' ranger. I'm going to be using it on a 17' Skeeter. Should I look at a larger prop? Or just see what I have and go off the tach on what I need to do.

Does the carb jetting sound right for the motor?

Swapped the packs today. Got bright blue strong spark on all plugs. Fired it up on the hose, seems to idle good, but when I give it throttle by the linkage or through the throttle handle it wants to big down and die. Good spark. Good fuel. Anywhere I should start looking? Using known good packs and plugs. Plugs seem to be a little wet when I pulled them to check them .

Back