Logo

85hp 1973-1977 Johnson.

GaryOutland

Contributing Member
Where are freeze plugs? I pulled starter and solenoid, but can't find freeze plugs. Honestly, I am not a total idiot, but I must be overlooking them. Are they being flywheel? Trying to identify year and model number. I have narrowed down to Johnson due to original color, and '73-75 due to coils.

On that model, the one and only "Core Plug" (looks like a freeze out plug) would be on top of the powerhead, very close to the Port head gasket. You'll probably need to remove the ignition bracket to view it.

Thanks, Joe. I will look for that over weekend. I know what a freeze plug looks like. I have replaced many in automotive. Still looking to closer identity engine. I noticed in the wiring diagram that '73 is different than '74-'75. I will be lookin closer at that over weekend. If you want to come out of retirement, I don't think I am too far away from you. Lol. I am on withlacoochee river near Dunnellon.

Ah, the Withlacoochee River. Been on it many times But mostly up at the Silver Lake portion. And Lake Panasoffkee outlet portion. A beautiful river, mostly still unspoiled.

Yeah, grew up camping on river near silver lake, got older and lucky enough to find a place on the river. Best back yard in Florida!

Back