Logo

Hit a rock , prop won't spin.

justinholmes10

Hey everyone,

So, today while boating, a rock snuck up on me and the bottom of the motor took a good hit. Afterwards, the prop would not spin
when given throttle. After i turned it off, i discovered that i could turn the prop by hand when it is in neutral, forward and reverse.
When i got home, i dropped the lower assy. the splines on the vert. shaft look fine and spins by hand fine. however, when i have it in gear, and spin the vert shaft, the prop shaft doesn't spin. Does this mean that my lower assy is screwed? Is it repairable? how much is a new one?

Also, its a 2003 9.9 Hp Honda.

Thanks

Last edited:
Also, if there a trick to getting the prop hub assembly out of the lower unit? i have removed the 2 bolts, I've tried removing it in neutral, forward and reverse, I've tried beating on it with a rubber mallet, penetrant. The only thing i haven't tried is heat for fear of damaging the coating on the unit. Can someone please help.

I hope you haven't completely dismantled your outboard...

Most outboard props will break free of the rubber bushing that separates the outer portion of the prop from the inner when you hit something, so it's working as designed. A propeller shop can rebuild it, or you'll need a new prop.

I finally made some progress tonight! After F*****g with it all day, I was finally able to remove the prop hub (or whatever its called) from the lower unit with lots of PB Blaster, patience and swings of the rubber mallet. Upon inspection, all the splines/gears/teeth/pinion seemed to be fine. There were no metal shavings to be seen. At first everything seem to be fine, until i tried rotating the vertical driveshaft and i could see that the pinion wasn't moving. i was just about to remove the nut that held the pinion in place and as soon as i put a socket on it, the head fell out of the pinion. it had sheared off almost flush with the nut. It is a strange looking piece that has sheered. I doesn't look like it would be part of the drive shaft, but it may very well be. I haven't been able to find any diagrams online of what this piece would be or a part number to order a new one. Can anyone help me out here?

Back