Logo

Removal of lower unit

Chappyfan04

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark number on how many hours of labor I could expect to be charged for removal of my lower unit, inspection, and putting it back together (nothing fixed or replaced) The engine is a Bravo I. Thanks!

Why? couple of seals and O rings to contend with.If you mean a complete dis-assembly of the lower thats different. Depending on the corrosion factor anywhere from 2- 15

Agreed. The shop took off the lower unit to diagnose the problem. The quote they gave us to replace the coupler was extremely high so we are taking it somewhere else. We've asked them to put it back together so we can pick it up and they are now saying that it has taken them 4+ hours of labor, which seems excessive to me, to remove and then reattach the lower unit and want to charge us for it. I am happy to pay them for their work, but just want to be sure that I'm not getting ripped off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Agreed. The shop took off the lower unit to diagnose the problem. The quote they gave us to replace the coupler was extremely high so we are taking it somewhere else. We've asked them to put it back together so we can pick it up and they are now saying that it has taken them 4+ hours of labor, which seems excessive to me, to remove and then reattach the lower unit and want to charge us for it. I am happy to pay them for their work, but just want to be sure that I'm not getting ripped off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would not be paying that bill. It is the shops responsibility to be able to diagnose a bad engine coupler and taking the lower unit off of a bravo drive is not where you start.

The only reason you would pull the lower apart is to check the drive coupler. The drive coupler and the engine coupler are two different things.

When diagnosing an engine coupler you start at the back of the engine, you look for debris, rubber dust or aluminum pieces, and you look to see if the input shaft is turning.

The drive coupler is something you look at after you look behind the engine and determine thew engine coupler is intact. I have never seen a split, stripped drive coupler. Just twisted off shafts from prop impact. Just like the picture bellow.

shaft.jpg

#2 is also called "coupler"
UntitledBD_zpsndilrfej.jpg

so I say the time to remove a lower and install new couplerand fill with oil 2-3 hours

Back