Logo

TAMD71B - Exhaust leak between the Turbo and Exhaust Elbow at the V-Clamp

aquafennatic

I have a TAMD71B and after cleaning the Exhaust elbow I replaced both the flange that connects to the turbo as well as the V-clamp that holds the Exhaust elbow to the flange. The mating surfaces are clean however I have an exhaust leak at the connection between the Exhaust Elbow and the Flange. The parts breakdown diagram does not show a gasket between the flange and the exhaust elbow. I've tried a number of things including Permatex Ultra Cooper High Heat Gasket Maker as well as also trying Rescue Tape around the connection before the v-clamp is installed. These are OK temporary solutions however they appear to fail over time. Can anyone recommend a permanent solution to my issue?:confused:

Thanks,

Mike

Don't know about your 71, I have two 41 series. My older one has no gasket and didn't leak when we took it apart and put it together. But our older AD41b leaked until we found there was a very small paper gasket that was in the diagram I found on volvopentastore.com. After putting that gasket in and coating it with Permatex Ultra Copper it doesn't leak now. Good luck.

When you are mating the flange to your elbow is your hoses still connected to the elbow? I found that leaving The hoses attached puts strain on the elbow and does not let it tighten flatly to the flange if you remove the hose And just put the elbow on with the V clamp and tap it as you're tightening it you should get a nice even fit

Had the same problem, because of some rusty flange no airtight seal possible, even after cleaning.
Solution for me, some gun gum sealant on the flange and all is ok now

Some Yanmars use a similar setup. Why they all can't just have a bolt on flange like other engines I do not know but I do know that exhaust leaks from those 'V-clamps' are always a possibility and they often need tightening again after a couple of runs.

Back