Logo

Gurgling and sneezing sounds

Dterry

Contributing Member
Hi all

I bought a NS40C and cleaned the carburetor and now the engine sounds like it is gurgling. I have herd that this probably do to the carburetor receiving too much fuel. So i adjusted the idle jet clockwise to cut back on the fuel but this did not solve the problem instead the motor started to sneeze (not enough fuel?). I don't see any fuel coming out of the carb so I dont think the float is stuck but I could be wrong. Also the engine has trouble at mid speed, like it is not getting enough fuel and wants to cutout. But at idle and WOT it runs fine.

Dan

P.S. - I followed the service manual and bought a tachometer to set my carb and ignition timing.

How was it running before you worked on the carb? Under what conditions are you having problems now, since you say that it's fine at idle and WOT?

It ran fine but I noticed that the timing was set at 20 degrees on the magneto and not 25 degrees like the manual says at BTDC. So in doing so I had to adjust the carb. Before adjusting I did a deep clean on the carb.

I ran the engine today and still makes the same gurgling sounds but no sneezing after slight adjustment on the idle screw. I heard the engine backfire twice at WOT but went away after a few seconds. Then when idling down from full throttle it will die as if it is not getting the right mixture of gas and air. But if I gradually decrease speed it has a better chance of not cutting out on me.

I'm not seeing any residue in the water and the telltale stream is warm but not hot. I also have a tachometer and the speeds are pretty close to what the manual says.

Thanks for the feedback

I would run through the timing again. If it worked fine before you made adjustments, and is having issues afterward, you may have mis-adjusted something.

I will take another look and will reply back with pictures so you can see what have it set at. Thanks again for the reply.

Dan

I would run through the timing again. If it worked fine before you made adjustments, and is having issues afterward, you may have mis-adjusted something.

Here is what I have the timing ignition set at for my 40hp nissan.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• nissan timing 1.jpg
    nissan timing 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 881
  • nissan timing 2.jpg
    nissan timing 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 774
You seem to be timed at about +25 at WOT, -2 at idle. Is the advancer arm contacting the stopper for both WOT and idle? Did you adjust the mixture at idle? When you changed from +20 to +25 at WOT, what changes did you make to the idle mixture?

Back