Logo

boat will not plane under load

Deedle

Hi everyone,
Here's my problem...I have '93 115 Johnson (J115MLETS). Put boat in water, started great, as usual. Rode down lake and turned key off and motor kept running. When I got boat home, found it had a faulty place in kill wire running from fuse boot to power pack. I pushed wire into boot and taped it up. The motor turned off with key. Took boat back to lake today and it started great and idles smooth. However, at WOT, my RPMs stay at 3500 and boat will not plane off. The carb is getting fuel. I pumped primer bulb while running and it did nothing to motor. I shot starting fluid into each cylinder and each one dies a little. So fuel is getting there. The plugs get wet with fuel during the WOT as well. On the trip home, there oil is dripping on my motor support from the fuel mixture that did not burn. Could the kill switch wire still be the culprit? Is there something I missed and need to reset?

Sounds like you disturbed one coil to plug wire or some other wire affecting that cylinder when you were repairing that kill wire.

Had coil tested and shows good..Compression is greater than 120 on each cylinder. New plugs. Re-checked wires and all show good. Any other suggestions??

almost seems like your timing isn't advancing, especially if it dies back when you spray fuel in the carbs at wot. your getting fuel but timing wont advance?

look at timing advance...there is a little roller in a slot (kinda like a cam follower)..that roller is steel with some kind of hard covering. That covering breaks and falls off and then all you have is the small steel bearing...that wont cut it on timing advance...most of the time you can find pieces of the covering in the bottom of the cowl...10 minute job to replace it..

Running with VRO or mixing at 50:1 ?--------------Waterpump impeller checked ?---------------Run with cover off ?-----------Run with timing light on each cylinder to check spark ?-----------Compression values are ??--------------Shine a strong flashlight in each cylinder bore at full throttle to observe fuel coming up the nozzles .

Sorry I took so long getting back to this...
Noticed when boat was in air conditioned garage it felt firm, however, on the water, it seemed to get much softer in the heat. Replaced it.
Disconnected the vro.
Found the that the coil wire was partially pulled lose inside rubber ( probably from taking it off so many times while troubleshooting this mess).
The great news is, I took the boat out and it runs like a champ!!!

Back