Logo

Flywheel timing marks?

Ok I got a situation, I bought myself an old 65 merc 650 4 cylinder, three motor was in pieces and I'm putting it back together I'm to the point of bolting the flywheel back on and need to find some timing marks. I've looked high and low for info and pictures but haven't been successful. I know they had painted marks but mine are warn off. I have two indented spots on the flywheel next to the teeth about 20° apart one a little deeper then the other not sure if these are the timing marks. Any help would be awesome thanks.

The second set of marks (as the flywheel spins pass) is TDC. Get the top piston at TDC (use a screw driver through the plug hole) and line the flywheel up with the center of the distributor.

Jeff

The second set of marks (as the flywheel spins pass) is TDC. Get the top piston at TDC (use a screw driver through the plug hole) and line the flywheel up with the center of the distributor.

Jeff
Ok so I know I need to be at TDC, But my issue is that the flywheel was unbolted from the sleeve that actually mounts to the crankshaft. there are 8 bolts that hold the flywheel to this sleeve. I can get the flywheel on in any of those 8 configurations what I am wondering is if i have it at TDC which mark do I line up? here is a picture of the only two markings on the flywheel. Thanks for the help in advance.

imagejpeg

The second set of marks (to go by the pointer) is TDC.

Just line it up close as you can--it won't be off that much.

Jeff

Back