Logo

Injection Pump Timing

Sir Rondo

So I'm about to dive into the murky waters of injection pump timing. My engine is a Volvo MD17C and the manual says to use a Wilbar Tube. I've never heard of such a thing and information seems to be very scant on the interweb.
Can anyone shed some light on this mysterious thing called a Wilbar Tube, or maybe offer an alternative?

Thanks very much

Ron

My only experience with diesel injection pump timing is with older VW's where i used a dial indicator or did it by ear. I never took a pump apart, left that to others. If you are not sure what to do it may be worth paying someone familiar with your engine if you can find one. Good luck.

Sir Rondo, I am in exactly the same situation as you are. I was aware of the timing issue before I took it apart so I tried measuring the thickness of the gasket as I shredded it taking it apart, about .009" + whatever was left on the pump. Not sure of what gasket thicknesses are available, I just joined this site a few minutes ago. Will add more if I learn anything. The whole point is that the maximum pressure is reached at the correct piston position so that the injector opens at the correct instance for proper firing. The Wilbaer tube helps in the process as well as indicating how much fuel is delivered per cam lift. Do you have the workshop manual? Available on this site I imagine. Cheers

(OK new user, here. I see this is an older post. Sir Rondo, let me know what you found out. Thanks.)

Back