Logo

85hp 1973-1977 Johnson. what do I have?

GaryOutland

Contributing Member
What is the difference between model 85393m and 85ESL73m? These particular models are 1973 85hp, but that is as far as I can figure. By looking at the difference in power packs and coils online, I think I have a 73-75. Are there any significant differences between these 3 years and models within these years. The tag is missing and I am trying to identify what exactly I am working on, so I can order proper manual and parts.

Thanks ,
Gary

Well, the paint and decals are different.-----------One is the 1973 EVINRUDE model and one is the 1973 JOHNSON model.-----------------The exact same motors with different cosmetics.-------------------Post a picture of your motor.

1464181523661-1673721030.jpg
As you can see paint scheme and decals don't help much! I do see the Johnson green underneath. The model numbers that I posted are from marine engine website, after looking at several diagrams.

Thanks for your help.
Gary

Original color is old Johnson green. No numbers other than casting numbers. Due to fact it has 1 power pack, I fell that it is a 73-75.

Re: 85hp 1973-1977 Johnson ignition issues.

I narrowed my issues down to the fact that I have a '73-75 engine and a '77 remote control/switch. I just received a switch from marineengine.com. I ordered a '73 switch. It is different than my current one. The existing switch has choke in switch, while new switch doesn't. I can handle external choke switch.

Question 1. Both switches have 2 "M" lugs. One is ground, the other is magneto, I believe. How can I tell which is which?

Question 2. When cross referencing numbers, my power pack is for a '77 only. I have a 73-75. Will the '77 power pack work on '73?KIMG0059.jpgKIMG0055.jpgKIMG0069.jpg

locate the freeze plug on the powerhead, the model number should be stamped on it as well.

Where are freeze plugs? I pulled starter and solenoid,but can't find freeze plugs. Honestly, I am not a total idiot, but I must be overlooking them. Are they being flywheel?

Back