Logo

Water Intake Screen Replacement

becoleman3

Looking for advice for replacing my water intake screen on the lower unit of a 1987 OMC. :confused:

1) Am I able to remove just the lower unit with out removing the entire unit from the vessel? My manual tells be the it can be done with out removing the upper and lower together first. I have also been told that the only way to separate the lower and upper is to take it off as one because the lower shift rod needs to be turned 90 degrees and the only way to access it is through the opening in the upper housing. However my manual tells that that it can by rotating the unit 90 to port after taking out the bolts and separating the two. To me it seams like the shift rod is being rotated in this procedure.

2) If the lower unit can be removed with out removing the entire stern drive is there any reason why for simplicity that it would be easier to remove the entire unit especially from a reinstallation.

3) My purpose for taking the lower unit off is to replace the water intake screen. Could someone tell me if it is as easy as removing the water passage housing and taking out the old deteriorated screen or do I need to take some of the drive shaft out also? Should I plan on replacing any of the other parts with the water such as the water seals, or the water tube guide and water tube. I can't find in my manual anything on replacing this screen.

Thank your in advance!

Boyd

1) Need to remove entire stern drive and separate the units.

2) Yes the water passage housing needs to be removed and is an easy process. I replaced the water seals at the same time, the original seals were in good shape but replaced them anyway. Note the new seals don't fit at tight as the original.

Back