Logo

90 hp Force Outboard question

joelw

I have a 90hp Force - 1995 that is driving me crazy. A friend of mine used the boat and it stopped running. Unfortunately he took it apart thinking it was the ignition. It was not. It was the stator but in the meantime he lost the ignition parts. I got all that back together but now the motor won't run properly. The center cylinder doesn't seem to work most of the time. I thought it was the carbs but I rebuilt them and still no power. Occasionally it will run on all 3 but not very often and it doesn't idle properly. Compression is good and the motor has almost no hours. Cylinder hatch is still visible and I can't find a thing wrong. What am I missing? I even had some local Chrysler experts look at it and they are baffled too. I am ready to order a reman powerhead but I know I am missing something simple here.

What are the compression readings?(need the #s)
IF?? your compression is good? No need to buy a powerhead.

Outboard ignition.com has test procedures for that engines electrical system.
You'll need an analog meter with a DVA adaptor or one with it built in.

#2 cylinder operates the fuel pump.
Check the pumps diaphragm.

#2 is also where the primer injects the fuel.
Pinch off the primer lead and see if that stops the miss?
The primer has a diaphragm and it rots and leaks.

Jerry

Thanks so much for your quick response. I'll redo compression test. I did rebuild the fuel pump diaphragm so I am sure it isn't leaking. The folks at the shop did an ignition test while I watched and the engine is getting spark but the cylinder drops out or doesn't pick up to start with. I even changed coils to double check. Plug is dry when you take it out while 2 others are wet. Just the opposite of what I would look for in a 4 cycle engine. Spraying carb cleaner in the carb for that cylinder does not change the response one bit so I don't think it is a fuel problem. When I run the engine sometimes it will run on all cylinders and then one will drop out. I don't want to run the engine too fast with a hose hooked up to it without any restriction or load on the prop. I have done my best to get the mixture right - I do have a manual and adjusted the carbs according to procedure.
I just don't know enough about outboards to know if there is some internal seal that might have failed. The engine was running perfectly before the stator failed but my friend took it apart without calling me so I am not sure what he did and he won't fess up. I have cleaned a rebuilt the carburetors, replaced the head gasket, and put new spark plugs in it. Everything in the cylinders looked great.

I'll check the compression and get back to you.

Joel

What are the compression readings?(need the #s)
IF?? your compression is good? No need to buy a powerhead.

Outboard ignition.com has test procedures for that engines electrical system.
You'll need an analog meter with a DVA adaptor or one with it built in.

#2 cylinder operates the fuel pump.
Check the pumps diaphragm.

#2 is also where the primer injects the fuel.
Pinch off the primer lead and see if that stops the miss?
The primer has a diaphragm and it rots and leaks.

Dry cylinder, usually a float problem, maybe a needle valve is stuck, maybe a clogged jet, the air screw(initial setting is 1 and 1/4 turn out) isn't set right,or maybe a reed is broken(probably not?
New needle and seats? Or just the needles? Compare to the old needle?

Jerry

I checked compression today. Sorry for the delay, lots of farm work to do. Cylinder 1 - 124, cylinder 2 136, cylinder 3 - 132. I did take the carburetors apart and replaced the needles with the exact part. Seats don't appear to be replaceable. Float might be the problem but there is gas in each bowl. I have had the carbs apart 3 times and they were spotless but I have a friend with a sonic clearer and I can get the center carb cleaned again. Odd that carb cleaner would not make the cylinder pick up. Reeds are perfect condition. As I said, motor ran perfectly before the stator went out. What my "friend" took apart, I don't know but I have taken everything to the reed valve assembly apart and nothing seems out of place.

Do a spark test???
Spark on all?
No? then swap leads around and see if the spark coms back.
Check all grounds.
Then go to outboardignition.com
they have test procedures for your system.

Back