Logo

2000 Honda BF50 unable to reach WOT

Greetings! I cannot seem to even get close to adjusting the throttle cable and/or throttle rod on my 2000 BF50 such that it reaches wide open throttle. It really does seem to be a problem with the cable/throttle rod, as I took it out last night, removed the throttle rod, and by hand, I can push where the top blue arrow is pointing, and can squeeze an additional 600 RMPs out of it.
Figure.JPG
Anyone else have similar problem? Any help getting her to full power output would be greatly appreciated!

With engine off and not in gear if you move the throttle in WOT, what does your throttle plates look like? They should be in a 180 degree position(completely horizontal)

With engine off and not in gear if you move the throttle in WOT, what does your throttle plates look like? They should be in a 180 degree position(completely horizontal)
'
Figure.jpg
Thanks for the reply! Please see the attached pictures. Indeed, they don’t even come close to horizontal. Given that I have the throttle rod bottomed out (as in adjusted so it’s as “short” as possible, and I’m not even in the ballpark of getting those to horizontal, not sure what to do. It’s almost like I need to cut the damn throttle rod to make it shorter! I’m sure I’m missing something, but greatly appreciate your continued advice!

'
View attachment 13318
Thanks for the reply! Please see the attached pictures. Indeed, they don’t even come close to horizontal. Given that I have the throttle rod bottomed out (as in adjusted so it’s as “short” as possible, and I’m not even in the ballpark of getting those to horizontal, not sure what to do. It’s almost like I need to cut the damn throttle rod to make it shorter! I’m sure I’m missing something, but greatly appreciate your continued advice!

And with engine off and moving it WOT in gear doesnt change the position does it to horizontal right? Also have you tried adjusting the linkage in the other direction? I tried looking on the web for some directions on how to sync/adjust the throttle linkage, no luck.

Something I'm thinking is the cable going to the helm could be the cause. when your using your throttle control at the helm does it move freely or feel like its binding?

If you can actually see the throttle plates in the carbs, that would help alot.

Last edited:
Greetings! I cannot seem to even get close to adjusting the throttle cable and/or throttle rod on my 2000 BF50 such that it reaches wide open throttle. It really does seem to be a problem with the cable/throttle rod, as I took it out last night, removed the throttle rod, and by hand, I can push where the top blue arrow is pointing, and can squeeze an additional 600 RMPs out of it.
View attachment 13317
Anyone else have similar problem? Any help getting her to full power output would be greatly appreciated!

looking at this pic again, Im pretty certain that the orange (top) roller is suppose to higher up parallel to that hump right before it starts rolling to the back of that black piece.

Yes, you are definitely not getting full throttle. Do not cut any linkages. You will get full throttle once several things are checked and adjusted.

Let's back up a little...

Have you gotten full throttle before?

Are you just installing this motor?

If you look closely, there is a line/mark on the large lever that has the carburetor lever roller in it. When the shifter is in neutral, that mark should be lined up with the center of the roller on the carburetor lever. If it does not, you have to readjust the connector on end of the shift cable until they line up.

If all that lines up as it should and you still do not have full throttle....
What shifter do you have? Take a picture of it. Depending on the shifter, it may be possible that the throttle and shift cables are not connected to the correct points. That will affect the throw. The newer Honda shifters only have one place for them to connect. So a picture will tell us what you have.

Mike

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
Hi

I have same problem and I found a manual for my BF50A
I think this is exactly what you also need
Hope it will help you. And after adjusting please replay if it works. Because I will be at home only in the beginning of June and try to adjust my Honda.
When I installed tachometer I released that it is necessary to replace propeller from 13 to 17 pitch... But if you say it gave you approx 600 rpm at full throttle ... then it's very nice to have a "spare power" .

good luck ;)

Last edited:
Greetings All, just wanted to say thanks very much for the replies!

Mike (hondadude), to answer your questions: I haven't gotten full throttle before. I bought the boat with the motor installed, and simply thought it was less powerful than I predicted it would be. I've completely refurbished the boat on which this motor is installed into my dream walleye/muskie boat. Also, you mentioned a picture of the shifter. This is a tiller model. Would it still be helpful to get a picture of the shifter?

Thanks again. I'm new to this level of work on the motor , and you've all already been very helpful! I'm traveling for work, but am looking forward to getting home and digging into the details and reporting back.

No need for a picture of the tiller.

If you follow the instructions that lebedok posted, I think you will get your full throttle. If not, then you will need to get into adjusting the throttle cables that go to the tiller handle. Part #1 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2000/BF50AY LHTA/HANDLEBAR/parts.html

They have to be adjusted in sync with the limit of movement on part #19.

One may have to be adjusted out and the other adjusted in. There are adjusting nuts at the right end of the cables in the picture.

When adjusting and testing for full throttle, you will have to put the engine into gear. Throttle is limited when in neutral. When you shift into gear, be sure to turn the prop with your foot, so the clutchdog and gears will sync together. If not, and you force the shift, you can bend/break linkages.

Mike

Back