Logo

74 mercury 9.8 110 - slips into gear from neutral

rstier

Hi,
I have a 1974 Mercury 9.8 110 and it occasionally slips into gear from neutral and then back to neutral. Does it sound like an issue in the lower gears or something simpler? Other than that, everything is fine. It never slips once in gear.
Thanks,
Ron

There is a detent on the horizontal shift shaft that is supposed to hold it into neutral. The shift lever should have the same throw from neutral into forward and reverse.

So I verified the #11 detent spring is doing what it should and holding the shifter in place. When it jumps out of neutral, that spring is still securely holding in the detent groove and the shifter doesn't move out of neutral, even though it goes into gear. Maybe an issue in the lower?

I also verified Part #15 (Gear) in the attached diagram, doesn't move either when it jumps out of gear.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 38
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-MERCUR...ash=item4d3a8f2590:g:LgUAAOSwT5tWMp-C&vxp=mtr
I prefer power steering fluid as a liquid wrench put a couple drops on all of the pivot points on the reverse lock under the clamp bracket. The reverse cam mount and rod are made of plastic and wear out also and are a major operation to replace you dasically have to tear it down completely to get to the cam. A sticky shift lock will cause the cam and bracket to wear out and break. Hopefully loosening up the parts under the swivel bracket will help?

Back