Logo

2000 BF 130 head gasket

lake vermilion

Hello everyone. I have a 2000 BF130 with a bad #2 cylinder & I will be doing a leak down & a compression test this weekend. I am suspecting water intrusion it looked pretty washed when I scoped it last week. I am aware of the head & block issues but I am too late to the party for Honda to help. If for some reason it is just a head gasket are they still available for the original heads? If so does anyone know the part#? If the head needs to be replaced does a head part#12201-zw5-020za. & gasket # 12251-zw5-023. Sound correct? Thank you so much if anybody has any insight

The head part number is for the bare head. You will have to transfer your existing valves, springs, etc. The complete head is no longer available.

The part number for the head gasket is correct.

The issues with the cracked head affects the #2 and/or #3 cylinders. I hope it is your gasket, but I am not very optimistic.

The compression/leakdown tests will verify that the problem is in a particular cylinder, but unfortunately, the only way to find the problem is to pull the head.

The good news is....you do not have to pull the power head to remove the head.

Good luck on your analysis.

Mike

Mike: Thank You for your response. I looked back through some various Honda issues people had & all I can say is WOW your knowledge & classy responses are outstanding. Nice job my friend!!! My 130 compression was 1-185. 2-185. 3-150 4-185. I did hear some seepage out of 3 doing #2 leak down but not as much as I thought. Oil is definitely milky of course it is horrible timing as fishing season has just begun in our short summers here in Northern Minnesota & this summer I don't have a lot of extra time I have a marine mechanic friend that could do the labor on a head swap but typically what was the labor time when they did the service recall? Considering the block was not an issue?

The early type head gaskets 12251 ZW5 003 and 013 are no longer available as seen here
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...000/BF130AY XA/CYLINDER HEAD COVER/parts.html

and have been superceded to the later type head gasket 12251 ZW5 023.
You won't be able to just renew the head gasket as the later type head gasket water gallery holes won't line up with the early type cyl head water gallery holes, unless your cyl head has already been replaced with the later type.

So on the presumption that you have the original 2000 early type cyl head, once you remove it you are committed to renewing the head gasket and the cyl head with the later type as per the part #s you mentioned, and the later type 60 deg C thermostat. Which is the best way to go since the early heads were problematic, and the later ones good.

There is some more info here if you haven't already found it
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...r-SBMA200304&highlight=BF130+cyl+head+BF130A2

Hopefully your block hasn't cracked like some of the early ones did, and cylinder not damaged from water intrusion.

Good luck

Bob

In regards to time. When the head was replaced while in warranty and the valves and springs, etc are reused...Honda only paid for 4.6 hours of time.

They usually assume perfect conditions and someone with experience and proper tools to do the work. This includes taking the head off, redressing the new head, and reinstalling and resetting timing, etc. So, in reality, it will probably take longer.

Bob makes a good point about the gasket. There is an additional water jacket passage on the exhaust side. If you find you can reuse your head, it might be worth a call to Honda Customer Service to see if that new gasket could still be used.

As Bob said, you should change the thermostat out to the lower 60 deg C thermostat. 19300-ZY3-023

Mike

I have problems with my Honda BF130 to . My problem is that I have a lot of water in the oil looks like coffe latte , I started with compressonstest and there was nothing strange . So I took off the top and checked , it turned out that I had the old head . I have been looking for cracks in the block and head , but find nothing.

I have read that it is between cyl 2-3 as it usually mess , can anyone help me was more accurate I will check if there is something I missed.

Ever thing I found was a lot of corrosion around the top gasket , maybe the water has gotten into there..

WP_20160730_001.jpg
WP_20160730_002.jpg

The early type head gaskets 12251 ZW5 003 and 013 are no longer available as seen here
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...000/BF130AY XA/CYLINDER HEAD COVER/parts.html

and have been superceded to the later type head gasket 12251 ZW5 023.
You won't be able to just renew the head gasket as the later type head gasket water gallery holes won't line up with the early type cyl head water gallery holes, unless your cyl head has already been replaced with the later type.

So on the presumption that you have the original 2000 early type cyl head, once you remove it you are committed to renewing the head gasket and the cyl head with the later type as per the part #s you mentioned, and the later type 60 deg C thermostat. Which is the best way to go since the early heads were problematic, and the later ones good.

There is some more info here if you haven't already found it
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...r-SBMA200304&highlight=BF130+cyl+head+BF130A2

Hopefully your block hasn't cracked like some of the early ones did, and cylinder not damaged from water intrusion.

Good luck

Bob

Hi Bob
I had the old type of head unfortunatley I am looking for the old type of gasket, making 12251-zw5-013 fit into my old head? I have tryed to explain to my Honda dealer in Sweden that the new 023 do not fits my type of head :( Do you think this packaging suits? ---> https://www.amazon.com/Honda-12251-...&qid=1470326945&sr=8-1&keywords=12251-zw5-013
Best regards

I wasn't aware that the 013 gasket was still available since boatsnet lists it as obsolete.
Maybe the Amazon seller has old stock ?
I would ask the Amazon seller to confirm the actual part number of the gasket they are supplying before you purchase, since some sellers list an original part number but supply a newer superseded part.

Let us know for the benefit of others.

Bob

hello again!
It was that we thought I was 023 when I ordered gasket 013. So I got the tip from my local honda dealer, to punch out cooling holes that did not fit, and together with the engine again, but the engine still got in the water in the oil ��. So I had to lift the engine block, and there I found the cause of the problem received_10154003334162499.jpegreceived_10154003323607499.jpgreceived_10154003323127499.jpeg

Hi
Just been reading through this thread. We have the exact same engine that dropped #2 cylinder and has water in the oil. Have the head off but hard to tell if there is a crack. In your last post you say you found the problem. I see the corroded area but do not recognize where it is located.

Back